Hawkinsfield Junction

Andy R

Bachmann Prairies are a Pain in the ............ They have the Stepped Coupling Hook so Kadee's are NOT a NEM type UNLESS you glue the Kadee under the original box, never perfect but close.

All the best with the Locos Andy and please PM me any pics of ones you have problems with and I'll try and help.

Andrew- I took out the dremel and slaughtered off the old Bachmann tension couplers of the 56xx class tank and then fitted two kadee number 32 types with middle length shank glued rigid, to each end using the existing screw holes that held tension couplers. It works to a ponit where I can at least shunt some stock around with this engine and once I get the uncoupler magnets (horrible black peices of metal) into the right places in what is a very short set of sidings, I will be able to play a little between driving another pannier with auto coach and the old Lima railcar in and out for passenger services. Enough to get on with and get me through the weekend, semi-sane!

The layout only has small radius PECO points which are a real negative but that is how it was originally built before I took it over. They make any shunting very challenging and obviously not the same issue on Hawkinsfield itself.  I might think of replacing the small pints with meduim to large on Stackton Magna if it gets further show invits as this would help its operation.

Anyway, I will take a photo of the pannier with its new kadees and post seperately... also acknowledging and thanking John Flann for his advice back via PM.

Cheers guys- Andy R

Andrew- I took out the dremel and slaughtered off the old Bachmann tension couplers of the 56xx class tank and then fitted two kadee number 32 types with middle length shank glued rigid, to each end using the existing screw holes that held tension couplers. It works to a ponit where I can at least shunt some stock around with this engine and once I get the uncoupler magnets (horrible black peices of metal) into the right places in what is a very short set of sidings, I will be able to play a little between driving another pannier with auto coach and the old Lima railcar in and out for passenger services. Enough to get on with and get me through the weekend, semi-sane!

The layout only has small radius PECO points which are a real negative but that is how it was originally built before I took it over. They make any shunting very challenging and obviously not the same issue on Hawkinsfield itself.  I might think of replacing the small pints with meduim to large on Stackton Magna if it gets further show invits as this would help its operation.

Anyway, I will take a photo of the pannier with its new kadees and post seperately... also acknowledging and thanking John Flann for his advice back via PM.

Cheers guys- Andy R

Fine-tuning Stackton Magna and stock for weekend.

Older Bachmann pannier tank has been given kadees to assist some basic shunting of small local goods. See photos...

post-22779-0-55117700-1474875216.jpg

post-22779-0-79554000-1474875263.jpg

post-22779-0-30341500-1474875301.jpg

Looks O.K. to me Andy, I've never seen or even heard of No32's, but if it works then its fine, I must admit, small Radius Points might be a pain for really close coupling with short Kadee's.

Looking good,

all the best.

Some other photos but for some reason they want to rotate themselves when attached, despite me editing to get right orientation -go figure??

post-22779-0-76729600-1474877694.jpg

post-22779-0-50170300-1474877729.jpg

post-22779-0-87710500-1474877828.jpg

• Like 2

And another of the local navvie (spelling??) Joe Bloggs having a well earned rest on a beautiful summers day near Stackton Magna. He awaits the local goods...which takes forever to trundle down the line to the station.

post-22779-0-96911900-1474923546.jpg

• Like 4

That's better Andy, it was doin me ead in sqintin sideways, but just realised I could have turned the Flip Flop on it side, dooooo :no:

Well Andrew it is doing my head in looking at the file as OK and when attached to post it goes sideways????

So I rotated the file picture and then it came out ok when attached to post. I can't work that one out. But the photos are taken on my iPhone and that may have something to do with this?

Regards Andy R

AndyR. thanks for the progress report, the method seems to work and I'm glad you found it. Trial and error is the way in these matters.

But those short radius points are really the nub of the matter. Until you use larger radius you will  suffer one frustration after the other. Changing to medium will make a world of difference both aesthetically and operational.

I commend the notion. It's a good investment.

Hope things go well at the exhibition.

Many thanks for your good wishes John and advice. I can report a successful two days of shunting and survival with minor mental damage! The layout ran ok, indeed beyond my initial expectations but some wagons need kadees fine-tuning before next show. I thought small points actually went ok and it would be shame to rip up them just yet ( agree it would be better but it's risk v reward given small space of station area/ board). I will ponder further. People enjoyed the shunting when they stopped by and noted no fast running roundy train set!!!
A good learning experience after many years of this BLT gathering dust. Overall I enjoyed it and the shunting challenges. I will look at changing kadee magnet positions for more flexibility and maybe a new point off the loop to provide a place for another wagon/ guards van storage spot (would necessitate relocation of yard crane). As I commented on Pencarne- you and Andy Peters provide inspiration for this shunting with the kadees: so thanks for that. I still have to get the right combination of wagon with best kadee for each wagon, but as John F says- trial and error.

Regards Andy R

AndyR. thanks for the progress report, the method seems to work and I'm glad you found it. Trial and error is the way in these matters.

But those short radius points are really the nub of the matter. Until you use larger radius you will suffer one frustration after the other. Changing to medium will make a world of difference both aesthetically and operational.

I commend the notion. It's a good investment.

Hope things go well at the exhibition.

Edited by Andy R
  • Like 1

Having seen this neat little layout in the flesh this weekend I can say it ran pretty well and apart from one troublesome (cattle) truck the kadee's worked good the time I was there. It certainly attracted a lot of positive attention with the auto uncoupling, something the use of isn't often seen at shows here in NZ.

Well done Andy.

Regarding the small radius points, they didn't cause any grief and I would say that to change them to medium radius would mean that you would lose some of the running length available as the loop would need to be lengthened. As it was, running with the small Pannier tanks, they didn't look too bad, and everything was fairly in proportion.

Did you find a solution for the LED's?

Good to catch up with you again and no doubt we'll see you in a couple of weeks at the Hamilton show.

Cheers,

Les

Having seen this neat little layout in the flesh this weekend I can say it ran pretty well and apart from one troublesome (cattle) truck the kadee's worked good the time I was there. It certainly attracted a lot of positive attention with the auto uncoupling, something the use of isn't often seen at shows here in NZ.

Well done Andy.

Regarding the small radius points, they didn't cause any grief and I would say that to change them to medium radius would mean that you would lose some of the running length available as the loop would need to be lengthened. As it was, running with the small Pannier tanks, they didn't look too bad, and everything was fairly in proportion.

Did you find a solution for the LED's?

Good to catch up with you again and no doubt we'll see you in a couple of weeks at the Hamilton show.

Cheers,

Les

Thanks Les. Nice to get your views. I tend to agree with the points situation but will look at one at headshunt end of loop for more yard storage. Kadees a work in progress.

See u at Hamilton.

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks Andrew. Re kadees: could you PM me some photos of your wagons underside please so I can see how u did yours.

Cheers Andy R

Will do Andy, but not a lot to Show really, there either NEM or No 5's screwed direct under the Body of Vans and Wagons, as per the ones below, which are all No 5 Boxes. I will photograph some undersides tomorrow for you, and PM them over.

post-9335-0-64398300-1475520360_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-58946500-1475520384_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-06882900-1475520410_thumb.jpg

And NEM No's 17 and / or 18's in the Loco and Coach, possibly 17 in Loco and 18 in Coach.

post-9335-0-11934000-1475520472_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-90337100-1475520526_thumb.jpg

Morning Andy, Pics as promised.

First up, a pair of Hornby Railroad Petrol Tanks, with No 5's glued and screwed direct to the Chassis.

post-9335-0-50125800-1475575771_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-11736900-1475575799_thumb.jpg

Next up a Standard Bachmann Box Van, Pre NEM again No 5 Glued and Screwed direct to the Chassis.

post-9335-0-54578000-1475575900_thumb.jpg

Now a 16T Mineral that had a stepped NEM so no good, the No 5 was again glued and screwed in font of the old NEM Box that is still visible.

post-9335-0-32481100-1475576054_thumb.jpg

Now a Pre NEM Bogie Bolster, the large old Coupling was removed and a No 18, 19 or 20 was again glued and screwed underneath the original mounting.

post-9335-0-36293600-1475576166_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-06838400-1475576190_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-37177400-1475576222_thumb.jpg

I hope this all helps a bit for you mate.

EDIT = Sorry should have PM'd, but hope you don't mind it live for all to share.

Morning Andy, Pics as promised.

EDIT = Sorry should have PM'd, but hope you don't mind it live for all to share.

Glad you did post, as this has been realy useful and helpful. Just one question, what glue did you use to stick No. 5 to the chassis?

Kind regards Paul

Glad you did post, as this has been realy useful and helpful. Just one question, what glue did you use to stick No. 5 to the chassis?

Kind regards Paul

A bit of UHU type glue, it's only a second support as the Screw should really hold it, but it stops it turning.

Andrew.

Thanks so much for posting the photos on here where we can all see and learn. They are very useful for me in my thinking on fine tuning my Stackton Magna stock.

Just to clarify, what's the approach where you have NEM pockets? That's one aspect I am not clear on.

Regards Andy R

• Like 1

Andrew.

Thanks so much for posting the photos on here where we can all see and learn. They are very useful for me in my thinking on fine tuning my Stackton Magna stock.

Just to clarify, what's the approach where you have NEM pockets? That's one aspect I am not clear on.

Regards Andy R

With NEM couplings Andy they are a case of trial and error, be it 17 / 18 if not to tight a curve or sharp points, 18, 19 or 20 for sharp radius points and tight curves. sometimes a compromise of say a 18 on one wagon and a 20 on the other. having them on a Layout a certain way around keeps things simpler.

On my exhibition Layouts I marked the underneath of Wagons and Locos with a white marker with an arrow and Number so I knew which way to put them on the Layout for guaranteed  coupling.

Cheers Andrew. I will get into it soon with your photos and advice to help.

Andy R

With NEM couplings Andy they are a case of trial and error, be it 17 / 18 if not to tight a curve or sharp points, 18, 19 or 20 for sharp radius points and tight curves. sometimes a compromise of say a 18 on one wagon and a 20 on the other. having them on a Layout a certain way around keeps things simpler.

On my exhibition Layouts I marked the underneath of Wagons and Locos with a white marker with an arrow and Number so I knew which way to put them on the Layout for guaranteed coupling.

Hello Andy, I'm based in New Zealand too - down in Wellington.

Hello Tom- there are a few kiwis active on this RMweb, so nice to hear from another one. You will note I am in Tauranga, so if you are coming this way why not PM me for a possibl visit to my Hawkinsfield.

regards Andy R