RMweb

Hawkinsfield Junction

Andy R

Some other photos but for some reason they want to rotate themselves when attached, despite me editing to get right orientation -go figure??

Well Andrew it is doing my head in looking at the file as OK and when attached to post it goes sideways????

So I rotated the file picture and then it came out ok when attached to post. I can't work that one out. But the photos are taken on my iPhone and that may have something to do with this?

Regards Andy R

Take a look at this link, about iphone photo rotation, on RMweb.

maybe of help.

Uploading photos from ipad

Take a look at this link, about iphone photo rotation, on RMweb.

maybe of help.

Uploading photos from ipad

Many thanks David. I have read it several times and still dont get it apart from the holding the I phone (I have an i phone 6) in the landscape position to take photograph. I will experimet further.

regards Andy R

All very frustrating this auto rotation of Smartphone photos.  But, I may have found a work-around and had a go on one of your auto rotated photos Andy and it appears to work.

post-4412-0-34861400-1475667622.jpg

Method

1. Open the Samrtphone photo in MS Paint; this is a very simple program and it does not read or understand EXIF data and will therefore show the photo in its true rotation, 0, 90, 180, 270.  
  2. Rotate the image using the Rotate/Flip button to the correct view
  3. Save as either a new file or overright
  4. Upload to RMweb.

Rotating the image this way will cause some more complex photo views to now show the image the wrong way, this is because they are still reading the original EXIF data.  Simply deal with this by having a separate folder of rotated images just for RM uploads.

Hope this helps

Thanks. I get that and in fact have used MS paint before to reduce photo size and enhance image. I have a seperate file for RM photos so will continue with applying your steps too.

I don't have a problem when using photos taken on normal camera.

Regards Andy R

All very frustrating this auto rotation of Smartphone photos. But, I may have found a work-around and had a go on one of your auto rotated photos Andy and it appears to work.

post-22779-0-30341500-1474875301b.jpg

Method

• Open the Samrtphone photo in MS Paint; this is a very simple program and it does not read or understand EXIF data and will therefore show the photo in its true rotation, 0, 90, 180, 270.
  • Rotate the image using the Rotate/Flip button to the correct view
  • Save as either a new file or overright
  • Upload to RMweb.
Rotating the image this way will cause some more complex photo views to now show the image the wrong way, this is because they are still reading the original EXIF data. Simply deal with this by having a separate folder of rotated images just for RM uploads.

Hope this helps

Thanks very much for the stepped process which I have followed through and it worked. Will try another later.

Regards AndyR

Thanks. I get that and in fact have used MS paint before to reduce photo size and enhance image. I have a seperate file for RM photos so will continue with applying your steps too.

I don't have a problem when using photos taken on normal camera.

Regards Andy R

After the show....

Just over a week since the first showing of Stackton Magna. Time to start those little things identified from the outing for fine-tuning. A start has been made on the kadees on the wagons; rechecking all heights and lengths with the kadee height gauge. If needs be I am changing them with either No 5's, as indicated by Andrew P in an earlier post and photos above, or with a No.18/19 as also indicated. As John Flann observed above...trial and error get us there eventually.

Another small project is to install a small point with point motor at the end of the station loop to provide another short siding for storing one-two wagons and the guards van when assembling the outward goods. This will allow some space to 'hold' a train while a local auto-passenger or railcar services the station platform. This task to get underway in the next while.

This coming weekend sees one of the larger and successful NZ shows run by the Hamilton Model Railway Club. My two days will be spent helping to operate the O gauge layout- and fighting those three-link couplings! Still the beer tastes good at days end.

Another picture of Stackton Magna to finish.

post-22779-0-58384300-1476084851.jpg

• Like 3

After the show....

Just over a week since the first showing of Stackton Magna. Time to start those little things identified from the outing for fine-tuning. A start has been made on the kadees on the wagons; rechecking all heights and lengths with the kadee height gauge. If needs be I am changing them with either No 5's, as indicated by Andrew P in an earlier post and photos above, or with a No.18/19 as also indicated. As John Flann observed above...trial and error get us there eventually.

Another small project is to install a small point with point motor at the end of the station loop to provide another short siding for storing one-two wagons and the guards van when assembling the outward goods. This will allow some space to 'hold' a train while a local auto-passenger or railcar services the station platform. This task to get underway in the next while.

This coming weekend sees one of the larger and successful NZ shows run by the Hamilton Model Railway Club. My two days will be spent helping to operate the O gauge layout- and fighting those three-link couplings! Still the beer tastes good at days end.

Another picture of Stackton Magna to finish.

thanks Andrew P ...you are on the case early today!

• Like 1

Looking good Andy, and yes Trial and Error as John says will get you there in the end.

I was doing a Show with my O Gauge Trebudoc and working from the front leaning around spectators, many a time I had an O Gauge Wagon dangling from my Shunters Pole.

Hahah 8.40 am having breakfast with the Flip Flop on my knee, and a stinking cold.

Sorry to hear you are poorly, but RM web will make you better...lots to see and comment on if you want. I have the laptop on my knee and watching Rick Stein eating and cooking through the Med and also the NZ cricket team collapsing again in India-those indian spinners are nearly unplayable on day three!

Andy R

• Like 1

Today I have finally had some time (who said retirement was slow paced?) to spend in the man-cave and work on the refinement of the station loop of Stackton Magna, with the removal of some of the loop track and placement of a small PECO point to provide a small siding off the loop- as outlined in thread posts above. I get at least 3 small wagons or one plus guards/brake van in the new siding, so it will assist operational shunting in the small goods yard. This refinement, based on my learnings from the two days of operating the layot 2 weekends ago.

Point and siding now in place and track painted before ballasting next session in normal manner with diluted PVA over spread ballast, moistened with a little water/washing up liquid.

Several photos below show the steps today, with some track isolating gaps filled in with super- glued plasticard for overnight hardening. I will file their profile next time and then start ballasting, and filling in ash/ballast also between the tracks. Then flip layout onto side and install the new PECO point motor and wire into the control panel. This layout simply uses the 16 volt AC poer outlet from a old triang controller that sits under the layout at showtime.

The one casualty in this change is the lovely Mikes Model yard crane- there is simply not enough room to relocate it within the tight yard. Further thinking required on this -can I locate elsewhere???? (the photos will suggest no easy answer to this as can be seen by the small space in the yard now)

Regards Andy R

post-22779-0-76993500-1476266432.jpg

post-22779-0-55571100-1476266457.jpg

post-22779-0-54133900-1476266481.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Andrew. Should be straight forward. Small job compared with the conversation on Coachmans thread about changing to O gauge... he makes it look so easy! Lovely track work there one day then gone the next. How does he do it???

Regards Andy R

That's looking very good Andy, hope it all works out O.K. in the end mate.

Thanks Andrew. Should be straight forward. Small job compared with the conversation on Coachmans thread about changing to O gauge... he makes it look so easy! Lovely track work there one day then gone the next. How does he do it???

Regards Andy R

That's looking very good Andy, hope it all works out O.K. in the end mate.

Edited by Andy R
  • Like 1

Hi Andy,

Should make things more interesting having an extra siding. Have you thought of putting the yard crane where the truck is? I just can't quite see how much space there is there in the pictures though.

Cheers, Les

• Like 1

Les. Worth exploring that for crane site but would need to alter plinth, which is possible. I think it important to have the crane if I can.

See you at Hamilton.

Regards Andy R

Edited by Andy R
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Getting the modelling mojo back....

Well -its been a long time since my last posting (after the October 2016 show and then adjusting the small BLT siding configuration as shown on pictures above. Also finetuning of wagon and loco kadees to get better running.

As a result the layout ran very well at its next outing, in Morrinsville show, April 2017. I also had a visiting operator to provide relief for lunch and tea break one day -thanks to Les (Somewhere Out West) of this forum for his help on the Saturday.

Attention has now turned back to the main layout -Hawkinsfield Junction, which has not had a lot of attention in the last year due to my summer bus driving tourism job and working on Stackton Magna as outlined above.

My Hawkinsfield layout has got to the point where a major design decision has to be made about the next stage, and I my thinking has been driven by seeking good operational potential for the long term. As those who have read this thread know, the inspiration for my layout design and thinking has been Peter Denny's Buckingham Branch (as it has been for many others over along period of time). I have been lucky enough to have personally visited its new home with Tony Gee and operated the iconic layout with Tony's help. Even though I have explored several design ideas for a branch terminus over recent years (see various earlier posts) my mind keeps coming back to the design principles so beautifully captured in Buckingham. So, with those thoughts in mind I have had a change of design approach for the next stage.

In further posts I will post another layout sketch of my latest layout plan but the basis of my stage 2 design is as follows:

1. Generate good operation and reasons for traffic movement through the junction- so construct a reasonable sized terminus that feeds into the junction and beyond (as Buckingham does). As my Hawkinsfield Junction is based in Dorset, loosely on the joint GWR/Southern line to Weymouth, I have designed a terminus station loosely based on Weymouth (I use the term 'loosely' seriously as one would need a very big space to recreate Weymouth as it was in its heyday!).

2. I have drawn inspiration (as have many) from the basic but clever Minories terminus layout design of CJ Freezer...from way back. I researched the thinking of this design on the Web and have come up with a design that adapts Minories for the space I have but maybe captures the essence of Weymouth in its layout -the multi platform, the old trainshed at the end, the goods yard and at least one (there were two) locosheds/yards and a turntable. Best to draw up on paper and share and seek feedback, noting I have already drawn it up on full size plan in the layout room on the terminus site, and I think it will work well. However, I will seek feedback from members should they wish to do so. (I need to draw it and scan for this topic). Can I also say that there will be a single line connecting link between the terminus and the storage yard feed so that at least one train can be on a continous circuit for running in and just 'watching a train go by'.

3. The current storage yard area is to be taken up, as this is where the new terminus should go, and the storage yard to be reestablished in the middle of the layout as a rotating train table peninsula. This will enable the trains from the terminus to 'terminate' in the storage yard and then rotated as required to turn trains around and send them back to the terminus via the junction. To make this work well a timetable will need to be developed in the future.

4. The junction was originally planned to feed a branch line terminus. Under my new design scheme this original idea of a BLT has had to be sacrificed -there is no room for it- and replace by a small 3 line storage holding yard on the outside and hidden by a future backscene. (again to be drawn up to show soon).

5. So, thats the grand scheme that has been evolving of the last 1/2 year or so.

In addition, I have stated before that I wanted to run the layout using mechanical point mechanisms (which I installed under the junction already) and wanted to really investigate operating these points with levers from the front fascia. Hence I have been working with a friend who is an excellent model maker/engineer (he an ex engineer) and he worked up a design that is simple, cost effective to make and basically failsafe. We have installed about half in the junction so far and the other half are about to be manufactured. 

Also, I have done a simple (not meant to replicate and signal box but just to help operators of the points) point diagram with numbers so that each point is identified by number and able to be switched by reference to that number. However, apon further research I believe it fair to say that signals and points seemed to be numbered from left to right as seen from the box, so I think I will renumber accordingly this way - again any comment on this aspect will be gratfully received. (see the photos below).

So, thats my update on Hawkinsfield ideas and its time to jump in, remove the storage yard and replace that space with the new station terminus.

I feel my modelling mojo is back and its time to 'jump' into it. 

post-22779-0-25851900-1497258997.jpg

post-22779-0-83746000-1497259019.jpg

post-22779-0-18488400-1497259038.jpg

post-22779-0-02773500-1497259059.jpg

• Like 2

AndyR, as might be expected from you a worthy master plan and I wish you well with ii. Clearly a great deal of thought has gone into the planning and time spent on thinking is always repaid.

It's not grandiose and beyond reasonable expectations and I'm sure capable of realization.

No doubt as you continue with the build various tweaks/improvements will manifest themselves for to most of us we mortals rarely, if ever, get it right first time.

So of if you are happy and have your mojo go for it.

Looking forward to seeing further progress.

Andy,

Good to hear from you again.

I'm pleased to hear you are progressing. The plan sounds good. We both agree on Buckingham!! I am sure going for operation is right. We spend ages building these things and without operational interest I can't see the point.

As far as I am aware GWR lever frames were generally numbered left to right, but all the levers needing to be pulled for a train to go through the box left to right tended to be at the far left - so 1 to 4 would be distant, home, starter, advanced starter - and those to be pulled to go right to left would be the furthest on the right - say 30 to 27 for the same signal descriptions going the other way. All things in the middle tended to be left to right numbered, but there were always exceptions. I am sure someone else with more knowledge will be able to correct me, if I've got that wrong.

I'll keep a watching brief.

Rich

AndyR, as might be expected from you a worthy master plan and I wish you well with ii. Clearly a great deal of thought has gone into the planning and time spent on thinking is always repaid.

It's not grandiose and beyond reasonable expectations and I'm sure capable of realization.

No doubt as you continue with the build various tweaks/improvements will manifest themselves for to most of us we mortals rarely, if ever, get it right first time.

So of if you are happy and have your mojo go for it.

Looking forward to seeing further progress.

Hey John -thanks so much for your kind words...lets see how I can transfer plans into reality. I have the done step 1; full size drawing, and step 2; building a storage unit for protecting the small BLT (Stackton Magna) so that I can work on my new plans nearby. 

Now to turn to step 3; uplifting the storage yard tracks and starting the new baseboard for the terminus. Time to test my poor woodworking skills. 

I have also noted your later post regarding the rooves of your clerestory coaches which i found very informative John and making me think about how I should rethink the colour of my own -which I enjoy running on the layout. 

regards Andy R

Getting the modelling mojo back....

Well -its been a long time since my last posting (after the October 2016 show and then adjusting the small BLT siding configuration as shown on pictures above. Also finetuning of wagon and loco kadees to get better running.

As a result the layout ran very well at its next outing, in Morrinsville show, April 2017. I also had a visiting operator to provide relief for lunch and tea break one day -thanks to Les (Somewhere Out West) of this forum for his help on the Saturday.

Attention has now turned back to the main layout -Hawkinsfield Junction, which has not had a lot of attention in the last year due to my summer bus driving tourism job and working on Stackton Magna as outlined above.

My Hawkinsfield layout has got to the point where a major design decision has to be made about the next stage, and I my thinking has been driven by seeking good operational potential for the long term. As those who have read this thread know, the inspiration for my layout design and thinking has been Peter Denny's Buckingham Branch (as it has been for many others over along period of time). I have been lucky enough to have personally visited its new home with Tony Gee and operated the iconic layout with Tony's help. Even though I have explored several design ideas for a branch terminus over recent years (see various earlier posts) my mind keeps coming back to the design principles so beautifully captured in Buckingham. So, with those thoughts in mind I have had a change of design approach for the next stage.

In further posts I will post another layout sketch of my latest layout plan but the basis of my stage 2 design is as follows:

1. Generate good operation and reasons for traffic movement through the junction- so construct a reasonable sized terminus that feeds into the junction and beyond (as Buckingham does). As my Hawkinsfield Junction is based in Dorset, loosely on the joint GWR/Southern line to Weymouth, I have designed a terminus station loosely based on Weymouth (I use the term 'loosely' seriously as one would need a very big space to recreate Weymouth as it was in its heyday!).

2. I have drawn inspiration (as have many) from the basic but clever Minories terminus layout design of CJ Freezer...from way back. I researched the thinking of this design on the Web and have come up with a design that adapts Minories for the space I have but maybe captures the essence of Weymouth in its layout -the multi platform, the old trainshed at the end, the goods yard and at least one (there were two) locosheds/yards and a turntable. Best to draw up on paper and share and seek feedback, noting I have already drawn it up on full size plan in the layout room on the terminus site, and I think it will work well. However, I will seek feedback from members should they wish to do so. (I need to draw it and scan for this topic). Can I also say that there will be a single line connecting link between the terminus and the storage yard feed so that at least one train can be on a continous circuit for running in and just 'watching a train go by'.

3. The current storage yard area is to be taken up, as this is where the new terminus should go, and the storage yard to be reestablished in the middle of the layout as a rotating train table peninsula. This will enable the trains from the terminus to 'terminate' in the storage yard and then rotated as required to turn trains around and send them back to the terminus via the junction. To make this work well a timetable will need to be developed in the future.

4. The junction was originally planned to feed a branch line terminus. Under my new design scheme this original idea of a BLT has had to be sacrificed -there is no room for it- and replace by a small 3 line storage holding yard on the outside and hidden by a future backscene. (again to be drawn up to show soon).

5. So, thats the grand scheme that has been evolving of the last 1/2 year or so.

In addition, I have stated before that I wanted to run the layout using mechanical point mechanisms (which I installed under the junction already) and wanted to really investigate operating these points with levers from the front fascia. Hence I have been working with a friend who is an excellent model maker/engineer (he an ex engineer) and he worked up a design that is simple, cost effective to make and basically failsafe. We have installed about half in the junction so far and the other half are about to be manufactured. 

Also, I have done a simple (not meant to replicate and signal box but just to help operators of the points) point diagram with numbers so that each point is identified by number and able to be switched by reference to that number. However, apon further research I believe it fair to say that signals and points seemed to be numbered from left to right as seen from the box, so I think I will renumber accordingly this way - again any comment on this aspect will be gratfully received. (see the photos below).

So, thats my update on Hawkinsfield ideas and its time to jump in, remove the storage yard and replace that space with the new station terminus.

I feel my modelling mojo is back and its time to 'jump' into it. 

In this earlier post I said I would rough out a revised layout plan to show what my new design for the proposed new terminus and new/revised storage yard turntable, which I described as well. This draft layout plan is attached.

I apologise for the lack of real clarity in the drawing of the terminus itself but it is rather small scale and the width of the terminus board is only 1 foot wide before widening at the 'pillar' end to accommodate most of the terminus and goods yard.

I feel the terminus will have plenty of operational potential and the turntable storage yard facility will assist 'hands-off operation as well. As said in the earlier post there is a 'nod' only to Weymouth- the terminus will be named after the original location name... "Melcombe Regis".

I have made a continous run single line connection with the junction to the new turntable storage yard, as shown in the layout drawing. This so we can...watch trains go by...

post-22779-0-03853100-1497769095_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Andy, looks good. I'm sure that in working any improvements that  suggest themselves could be made and the inevitable snags that arise will be sorted out satisfactorily.

The turntable I accept because Peter Denny used one and you have thought it through, but still retain that nagging feeling about the concept

Whatever, you now have a plan, enjoy the build and interim running..