Hawkinsfield Junction

Andy R

Update Part 10;

I have sent the last week or so filling in details of the river/ viaduct scene that has progressing through several posts above. Details like the gangers hut, the small junction signal box and the hedges, trees and bushes etc. 

I thought I would share a couple of today’s photos.

regards Andy R

AD635F0A-6EA3-445B-90A9-2935A63689BF.jpeg

8D6E6429-C1CC-44F8-8D5D-FE4CC529BE6C.jpeg

BBE59A84-ADEE-4D39-A377-D6D8712520EB.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks guys for the thumbs up.
The single junction starts on the viaduct and did create some viaduct construction issues with its shape. But got there in the end.

The single junction is actually two curved points ( a right and a left) that;

a) feed the single continuous run line back to the terminus 

b) feeds the yet to be constructed six line storage turntable ( acts like a return loop) to be carefully centred into the middle of the layout room operating well. This turntable bit is planned to be around 1500 long and only 300 wide, and will be anchored onto a wooden base shelving cabinet that will provide extra model/ book storage and weight to keep it sturdy. It will be feed by a rake of curved points. These will have their own little control panel for the tortoise points.

Lets just say a work in planning progress. Back to scenery and time to turn the mind to the engine shed and turntable area.

happy modelling 

cheers Andy R

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hawkinsfield update mid November;

As a slight diversion….Not been near the model railway for several weeks now as my wife and I are on a road trip in NZs South Island.

I have just completed a 307 km bike ride from the Southern Alps to the ocean over five days( hard yakka) and now recovering at a lodge near NZs highest mountain- Mt Cook.

Not a model railway in sight but wonderful mountains instead.

3ECF9428-663D-4847-88C2-6BDA3F2468E0.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Part of the bike trail follows an old NZR branch line that is long since closed. But it when up from the coastal town of Oamaru to service small rural communities and limestone works. Photo shows the only tunnel that the trail goes through enroute. It curves so was rather dark and disorienting on a fine day.

882FA3DE-E873-453C-8EB2-88F262ED0704.jpeg

• Like 2

Hawkinsfield update….Anyway as we head towards Christmas after another hard disruptive  year for all of us, the upside has been more modelling time spent in the train room. 
My main aim in recent sessions has been to finish off the river estuary/ quayside scene in front of the stone viaduct. This is nearly done with just quay details, a scow? ( my friend is three D printing) and river water to be done. I hope to use Woodlands cold water ( some name like that) once the scow is in place.

The quayside warehouse is scratch built following one I saw in a Railway Modeller mag a few years ago. I’m not sure on reflection whether it’s scale is quite right?

The quayside is foam board covered with Slaters 7mm stone sheet and the surface of quay is plaster scribed as stone then lightly coloured with acrylics 

The photos show progress as of today.

DBF1CC49-6C1F-4FF2-BE5B-64249F16D123.jpeg

AF7097FC-4DD1-4C21-B80F-4B165730EEC1.jpeg

• Like 8

I thought I would show something a little different for Christmas/ new year particularly for our overseas RM webbers.

I have been heavily involved in the design and construction of our local Tauranga ( NZ) club layout- particularly scenic treatment. The layout has a New Zealand railway theme on one side and an English rail theme on its other side. Lots of club layouts in NZ are ‘ multi themed to cater for various interests.

In our case the old branch line that ran to Tauranga through a small town north west called Katikati is the basis for our NZR layout. Here is a photo of our local daily Taneatua express train heading towards Katikati station over the river trestle north of the station.

I hope some find this shot interesting.

4C3D58AD-3A3D-40F2-9A42-1B71B061990E.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Into May… and I for one have no idea how/ why/ what happened to the full past photos on this topic but I’m guessing we just ‘start’ again with new photos on new postings?

in the last few months I’ve been focusing on redevelopment of the terminus station ( Melcombe Regis) and it’s engine service area. The idea here, given limitations of space on this corner site, is to provide a turntable for turning engines that run back from the terminus after bringing in new train formations; because there is no run round capability in the platforms. Once turned they can be run back to a set of coaches for journey back to fiddle yard. 
I guess freight locomotives can also be turned as needs be.

Hopefully I can post some progress photos…

Cheers Andy 669757F6-0E0C-4C54-98EF-C3E808FDB61D.jpeg.19e95ec0d230cebb5677cc711ca4782f.jpegD10CCCD4-1C44-4680-94C4-0992EF1BD13B.jpeg.80227264591979729144a660c2ade83c.jpeg2863497E-8997-4B97-A123-06C1F953FFEC.jpeg.c1eb90e59ca08e728a9977d18b16964a.jpeg

• Like 3

At the other end of the layout the river quayside scene is nearly completed. I just need to scale down the quayside crane ( too big) and paint the river boat and then pour the river water ( either varnish or Woodland Scenic water). 8BF9FE8E-A2D6-45E2-8514-93C4AD07FBE4.jpeg.7f43fbaa457df3544281e92e0b929539.jpeg51239F9B-F991-4A1C-850C-43074FFE10DE.jpeg.a1bc561f79f198ba62ccee27050e4cfe.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I posted a photo or two on my layout topic. Now in mid winter here in NZ and so modelling in the 'mancave' is spasmodic, but things are getting done and train are running...

I am now working along the terminus board of Melcombe Regis after completing the terminus engine shed scenic treatment. Even the old PECO turntable works very slowly as required powered by a motor and low gearing made for me by a friend. 

Scenic treatment of the approaches to Melcombe Regis station is nearly complete, and I will post some photos of that soon. Im currently working on the new station building facade (which has been 3 D printed by another friend ). Im putting stone paper, roof and tiles etc on this building facade which will be low-relief at the end of the platforms. The existing train roof will be modified to attach to the station building facade. More pictures to come.

In the meantime a few train shots; busy times at Hawkinsfield Junction and a local goods passing the recently finished terminus engine shed facility.

cheers for now...Andy R

Busy Hawkinsfield Junction May 22.jpg

Hawkinsfield Dairy Co May 22.jpg

Local goods passes Melcombe Regis engine depot May 22.jpg

• Like 3

As Im working on the station approaches scenic treatment at Melcombe Regis terminus, and also the new station building facade (3D printed) which will replace the current station buildings on the rear side of the terminus, I thought a couple of photos might help explain the situation as of today.  

In these photos, a) the station building which is still to be finished is temporarily in position behind the station train  roof. The train roof will be attached once the station building facade is in place. But this temporary set up for the photo conveys the general idea.

b) the scenic treatment of the station approaches and marshalling yard is shown, looking in both directions- ie; toward the station and away from it toward the engine depot.

cheers, Andy R

Melcombe Regis station facade May 22.jpg

Melcombe Regis station approach 1.jpg

Melcombe Regis station approach 2.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Andy R said:

Its been a while since I posted a photo or two on my layout topic. Now in mid winter here in NZ and so modelling in the 'mancave' is spasmodic, but things are getting done and train are running...

I am now working along the terminus board of Melcombe Regis after completing the terminus engine shed scenic treatment. Even the old PECO turntable works very slowly as required powered by a motor and low gearing made for me by a friend. 

Scenic treatment of the approaches to Melcombe Regis station is nearly complete, and I will post some photos of that soon. Im currently working on the new station building facade (which has been 3 D printed by another friend ). Im putting stone paper, roof and tiles etc on this building facade which will be low-relief at the end of the platforms. The existing train roof will be modified to attach to the station building facade. More pictures to come.

In the meantime a few train shots; busy times at Hawkinsfield Junction and a local goods passing the recently finished terminus engine shed facility.

cheers for now...Andy R

Busy Hawkinsfield Junction May 22.jpg

Hawkinsfield Dairy Co May 22.jpg

Local goods passes Melcombe Regis engine depot May 22.jpg

Hi Andy,

Looks good. I particularly like the last picture.

Keeping well I hope?

Cheers, Les

Cheers there Les- nice to see we have all survived the Covid plague to date!

We are off to UK to finally catch up with our family/ grandchildren there in July and August. Might get to Hornby visitor centre as we are having a week by the seaside 😎

Keep up your incredible BLT work.🚂👍

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It’s a long time since last posting….Layout Work continues at a slow pace…

In a May 4 post above I showed photos of the Melcombe Regis engine depot area about to be reconstructed. This work has now finished and I post a couple of photos showing the completed scene. The turntable is standard PECO which has been motorised using a small 6 volt motor and series of gears underneath. The road alignment is set by eye and this works ok as it moves slowly.

Hope these are of interest.

E4DE7570-CFEA-480D-9936-6C1DF346DF18.jpeg

27A98047-A4E7-4330-A82D-B7D888BCC379.jpeg

AA69E221-5A76-4405-AC9D-F9BF91024E69.jpeg

• Like 3

Further scenes from the layout taken in recent times, in no particular order…with GWR railcar No.26 chugging eastward from Hawkinsfield Junction station (platform 3) to Melcombe Regis,  and passing the MR engine depot area.

F37D0441-F2F9-4650-BDB5-4F4C75496041.jpeg

F5AD0FEA-A09A-455C-80B3-2B1579361AA5.jpeg

9CF52F2A-74A9-4CDF-AF75-3F16D8EB7796.jpeg

• Like 3

And to complete my update after a long period, a couple of scenes from my other layout; an O gauge BLT of southern railway theme, based loosely on Lymington Pier which is joint owned by four of us here in NZ. It only comes out a model train shows- usually once per year.

C3193657-3138-4C6E-ACBD-F433CEE5EE61.jpeg

D678A9EE-9382-4947-8E31-BFD247218D31.jpeg

EE8A564B-8166-4EB9-8305-3E002A12B3AD.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

At the layout terminus- Melcombe Regis, another project has started. I’ve had this idea in my head for ages and it’s finally time to get it going.

The small area of board in front of the terminus and adjacent to the single connection forming the continuous run ( it curves off back to Hawkinsfield viaduct) was crying out for a little cameo scene. Given the terminus is meant to be at ‘the seaside’, end of the secondary route, although on the edge of town not by the sea,

I thought a nod to its seaside location would be nice. 
Hence I have started a small boatyard quayside- like a backwater really, for CL Dunn boat repair and service. 
1. First the area was jig sawed out to form the water area.
2. Then I have cut the water base using a template pattern. And used foam board to form the quayside walls and around the proposed slipway from the small boathouse. (Seen in photo)

3. Prime and paint sea wall made from Slaters 7mm coarse stone. I’ve used this scaled product as I love its tactile feel- it looks and feels solid, perfect for old world quayside! Paint mix of white/ black/dark green does the trick.

4. I’ve used polyfiller to form the basic seabed here. I wanted a mix of sandbank and channel and so formed the filler/ colours accordingly. Then shifted fine sand and coloured this to form the sand banks. Darker blue/ green for channel.

5. I’m about to seal the water areas with Modge Podge and this will then get a cold pour epoxy at some future date; as will the rivers elsewhere on the layout. 
6. Next I will build the slipway and detail the boathouse and yard area and find some small boats/ dinghies.

Thanks, Andy R

EF07BCD4-7F8D-4B13-8CA1-0EF5585DC862.jpeg

A68E3EDE-54E8-4670-BFA5-82463DA82626.jpeg

693BE592-2357-4D5B-8A13-DAB3D739A819.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks Les. Nearly finished scene now- just needs suitable people, details like rope, tools etc and repainted/ old boats from somewhere. These following photos show progress after couple of days.

2C27A048-4CB9-4FC6-8612-C259B20C390B.jpeg

82812518-AF84-4E66-B690-04EEC878B24A.jpeg

70BAB775-0027-4D1C-8894-013EC5593DC4.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Estuary scene at edge of the seaside terminus called Melcombe Regis is nearly finished now. Little details like the life buoy and boats have been 3D printed by a friend. Now I want to find a suitable workman ( kneeling or bending over) beside  the dinghy on the quayside, and finally pour the estuary water. I’ve got some DeLuxe aqua bottle mix for that. 
A couple of today’s shots…

BBB615D0-BA66-434F-AACE-BC8A8752EF03.jpeg

B833EA17-87A1-4314-A1D6-BD4FE23A8E76.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1