"Operation Build It" trackplan question

george stein

Writing from the USA, so excuse if this is a really stupid question.  The "Operation Build It" Hornby mag series was quite useful for us beginners. As built, why is there no "catch point" from the goods yard?  If it were adapted as a thru station (one wall of my around the 8x10 shed), would the goods yard (GWR 1930's) require a "catch point?"   I don't think the track to the factory qualifies as a head shunt. Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Writing from the USA, so excuse if this is a really stupid question.  The "Operation Build It" Hornby mag series was quite useful for us beginners. As built, why is there no "catch point" from the goods yard?  If it were adapted as a thru station (one wall of my around the 8x10 shed), would the goods yard (GWR 1930's) require a "catch point?"   I don't think the track to the factory qualifies as a head shunt. Thanks.

I think the simple answer is that NOT providing a trap point is a very common thing in railway modelling - and that is no doubt what happened here.

Incidentally a trap point is there to trap anything which might make an unauthorised move towards a passenger running line.  A catch point is provided to catch anything which runs away from the back of a train on a rising gradient - although they are now virtually, if not completely, non-existent in Britain on the national network.

A catch point is provided to catch anything which runs away from the back of a train on a rising gradient - although they are now virtually, if not completely, non-existent in Britain on the national network.

Still plenty out there in the network although for practical purposes they are redundant the cost to remove outweighs the minimal cost of leaving until the line is due for renewal/re-signalling.

Archived