Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Kitbashing or Scratchbuilding?

I'm not sure if this belongs in here so Mods, feel free to move it if you wish.

Following a conversation with Nest of this parish about the "new" Wrenn stuff being produced by the current incarnation (yes, the name survives! http://www.gandr-wrenn.co.uk/ ) £50 a wagon is a bit steep though...

A question came up that if you were to buy a complete loco in spare parts and assemble it, would this constitute scratchbuilding or kitbashing? The rules are that the parts must not have previously been a part of a loco. We came to the conclusion that his is neither, and the term "Scratch bashing" was born, as it is not exactly scratchbuilding but not exactly kit building or kit bashing, but a new loco is created anyway even if it is not of a rare or obscure prototype. The big question is, where does Kitbuilding, Scratchbuilding and kitbashing end? Where are the grey areas?

Any thoughts anyone?

• RMweb Gold

In view of the parts effectively becoming a CKD kit - much like some of the US outline Proto 2000 stuff from the 1990s - I'd be inclined to regard this sort of thing as assembly.

Another (probably more commonplace) example of this sort of thing might be the Dapol coaches, which a number of retailers have been selling in bags for the last year or two.

If I were to put one of these together, I'd think of it as assembly.

If, along the way, I were to modify it in some way - paint the interior - fit passengers or lights - change the roof vents - or, better still, change the coach from one type to another - then I might start to think in terms of kitbashing (even if some of this stuff might really be kitbashing in name only).

My thoughts only, for what they're worth.

Huw.

Thanks Huw. The only thing I was thinking if you modify some of the parts it could very well get into Kitbashing territory, Although I suppose you could add any type of bits and pieces hence where the Scratchbashing term came from. Like if you were building a steam loco and you decided to scratch build smoke deflectors or something.

Archived