Camping Coaches on the S&DJR?

Hi Folks, as it says in the title, did the S&DJR ever have Camping Coaches at any of its stations.

I've scoured Ivo Peter's books etc. but cannot recollect any mention of these coaches, let alone seen a photo of one.

Can anyone help please?

Jim

Thanks for the replies folks. Seems strange that no camping Coaches were ever allocated to the S&D but possibly there were no stations with a suitably positioned spare siding to accept them.

However if a former S&DRT Chairman & Archivist and the author of a very enlightening book on the S&D working practices can't come up with anything then i will just have to accept that there weren't any.

Thanks again,

Jim

Somewhat coincidentally, a few years ago I had the (mad?) idea of compiling a web-page listing all the West Country locations for Camping Coaches. In the event I did not get far with it - it's a long way back on the 'back burner' now <g> - but in gathering the details nothing emerged for the S&DJR.

If you look at the various SR and GWR examples, they tended to be at or near seaside resorts, often in sidings at intermediate stations rather than the actual termini. Some places such as East Budleigh or Gara Bridge might have been chosen for their 'scenic location', but probably it was simply the case that there was a length of siding that was readily available to be spared for the purpose. I'm not sure that there would have been much demand for a coach at (say) Burnham, given the amount of holiday accommodation available within the town, nor do I see Wells or Glastonbury as being a likely destination then for a week's holiday. As for (say) Masbury or Ashcott.......

In short, would there in fact have been a market for such a thing on the S&DJR anywhere anyway ?

Thanks for your reply Chris. I take the point - if it is a busy town, there will be plenty of alternative accommodation and if it is a quiet and remote spot, nothing much to do or interest the typical family. 

Thanks again,

Jim

>>>.. if it is a quiet and remote spot, nothing much to do or interest the typical family.....

Well of course it could be argued that in 'those days' people made their own entertainment and did not need everything provided for them. But if you take places such as Gara Bridge or East Budleigh, then I think the answer is that it was assumed that they would use the train to go to Kingsbridge or Exmouth etc. In which case, of course, you could then argue that the same might apply to (say) Ashcott or Cossington etc. Maybe somehow the idea just did not seem to 'gell' with the S&D?

Archived