North British Storage & Transit Co. Vans - information sought.

PeterR

Hi,

The North British Storage & Transit Co. Vans based in Leith were I think used for transport of Grain.

There are model - 'Harburn Hobbies' sell a Peco one ,and  'Robbies transfers' sell a transfer sheet for them.

Having looked on the web, nothing else can be found for them, at least I cannot.

Does anyone have any information, that perhaps includes a photo of them for C. 1910 ish please? 

The height of them sees to vary from the lower 'Salt Van' style or the Parkside Dundas higher sided version for  'Leith General Warehousing' or 'Robert Hutchinson' style.

Any information please?

Yours Peter.

Hi Peter

There are two wagons in the museum at Bo'ness - one is a Leith Grain and the other is a Hutchisons (Kirkcaldy).  Well worth a visit if you are able.

It is worth noting that neither is the same as the salt van style - no side doors!

post-5673-0-76751400-1418766559.jpg

post-5673-0-84253500-1418766583.jpg

There are other pictures on the Internet - try a Google search.

There is also a topic here on RMweb about Kirkcaldy harbour - worth a look even though the photos are not of the period you have mentioned.

Regards.

Hi,

Thank you for the replies, very interesting.

Bill,  I have the top photo of the 2 you put up, the Parkside kit is as that though I will have to change the solebars to wooden ones - quite easy.

The lower one is though a bit battered with wooden solebars, so I can use the details.

The topic on the Kirkcaldy harbour branch is fascinating; and a bit dangerous by the sound of it!

Finally thanks to Doc Jacob for his input - that is superb.

It is possible that Peco have used an existing mould they have but they are a bit short and have side door - grain wagons would not have such a door though the later (steel ) ones appear to have a small one,that would be for inspection/sample (of contents) purposes I think..

Yours Peter.

Archived