RMweb

Charnwood Forest Junction - Standard Webb Hut on site

Hi,

I'm doing some research on the Charnwood Forest Railway and I'm trying to find photographs of the railway halts on this line. There are no known existing photographs. I know all the buildings on these halts were of the wooden LNWR Webb standard hut design of 8ft x 8ft modular construction - I've also seen an artists impression in a local railway book of Thringstone - I'm trying to find more out about the one at Thringstone because unlike the others it survived until the early 1950's as a blacksmiths shop until it was removed - I know the hut was removed after the early 1950's from RAF aerial  shots and other photographs taken at the site at known dates. So was it demolished or was it used elsewhere ? - The RAF photo's, LNWR plans and OS Maps suggest that the hut was about 16ft Long and 8 ft Wide - Looking at station paths at Thringstone Halt it probably had a door on the end of the building facing the nearby road bridge with steps down an embankment to the platform. Being  a passenger building it probably had some windows facing the platform and possibly on the end of the building so that passengers would see an approaching train from Coalville - just speculation of course ! - Intriguingly there was  a Webb hut near the signal box at Charnwood Forest Junction near Coalville which seems to match this building - which can be seen in 1950'sand early 1960's photo's -  further shadows seen on the RAF shots of Thringstone suggest a tall thin chimney which can also be seen on the hut at Charnwood Forest Junction - so I'm wondering if the hut had been moved along from Thringstone to Charnwood Forest Junction for re-use ?

To help with my research I wondered if anyone had any photo's taken at Charnwood Forest Junction or the nearby Coalville Junction that might show this hut and perhaps give further proof of this huts Thringstone origin - or of course disprove my idea !

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Cheers

Paul

Archived