GWR Portrait Of An Industry

The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

I noticed today that Amberley Publishing have added a new book to what appears to be intended as a series covering various aspects of the GWR/WR.  The latest volume is titled 'GWR Portrait of An Industry' and seems to be on a par with the earlier title in similar format which I came across a while back 'Paddington To Bristol' which was also stated as Volume 1 in a series about the GWR.  (I see from their website that Volumes 2 & 3 also exist but I can't comment on them as I haven't come across them.)

I say 'on a par' because the captioning of the illustrations seems from a quick skim through to be as inaccurate and incomplete, especially in respect of dating and identifying locations, as the previous volume I have seen while in the new one the quality of some illustrations is very poor as they are simply enlargements of postcards.   My advice is to look at a copy with care before buying.

• 3 weeks later...

I see this is also available as an e-book @ £7.80 on Kindle, at Amazon UK.

REVIEW

As the title suggests, this is very much about the GWR as a business, rather than a collection of pictures. There are some fine photographs, but of more interest is the large number of posters and illustrations. Certainly worth the Kindle price for a wide-ranging presentation of GWR operations, from rail, through hotels, boats, and even air services.

The nice thing with Kindle ebooks, you don't just receive them immediately, if you're not happy with the product, you have 14 days in which a full refund is only a few mouse clicks away,

Don't forget to use the 'single column' setting if you're using the PC software viewer, otherwise the pictures will be frustratingly small. There's no picture zoom on Kindle for PCs.

Thanks, StationMaster, that's another (instant) addition to my book collection!

Rick

Archived