Β 

New Florida East Coast GEVOs on intermodal 101

Stap me vitals! Just imagine that you are the conductor, and need to walk back to the last car , and then back to the loco!

Β 

Β 

Β 

I don't suppose they're issued with trail bikes as some of the African iron-ore lines are?

In some places, you wouldn't need to walk or cycle - the engineer would back the train up for you.

Β 

When I first read this, I found it hard to believe. It was in a 2001 account of a journey over BNSF's "Inside Gateway" from Klamath Falls to Keddie - BNSF's north-south mainline through the western states. A train of 6550 tons and 3800 feet long (apparently a light load for this train) with 3 Dash 9s for power. After meets where this train had taken the siding, the conductor had to line the switch back to the mainline after the last car of his train had left the siding. The engineer would then back the train up along the mainline to pick him up!

One will also see the contract 'shuttle' services the railroads use to pick up crewmen and move them to the other end of the train at times...obviously not everywhere, only where practical.Β  And whilst railfanning I've picked up a crewman who's had to walk the rear of the train and given him a ride to the front end.

Archived