BR Class 87 87025 County of Cheshire

Put some shelves up in my room and thought id fill em with trains so my first idea was the Class 87 87025 County of Cheshire https://www.flickr.com/photos/tutenkhamunsleeping/5059083183/in/faves-28562014@N05/any recommendations of a decent model I should look at for the project. A mates given me his Hornby postal set of coaches after he replaced them with Bachmann stuff so iv got them on the shelf to use behind it which will look nice along side my Australian Hornby set and coaches

In OO....? The Lima/Hornby 87 has the nbasic shape right, but must be one of the worst models out there for "engineering comprises" that Hornby didn't bother to upgrade- the roof needs a lot of work as the pantograph bearers were moved to fit a continental pan base, and the bogies are HO scale length which means replacement with those from a Hornby class 90 chassis.

With this in mind, there us definitely a case for an all-new RTR 87, which would be a logical step for Bachmann after their 90 is established.

I think the Lima / Hornby one is ok, too. The front windows look a bit small but part of this is due to the glazing moulding having beading. Just fitting some flat flush glazing would sort it. Do Shawplan do some for this loco?

Dave

In OO....? The Lima/Hornby 87 has the nbasic shape right, but must be one of the worst models out there for "engineering comprises" that Hornby didn't bother to upgrade- the roof needs a lot of work as the pantograph bearers were moved to fit a continental pan base, and the bogies are HO scale length which means replacement with those from a Hornby class 90 chassis.

With this in mind, there us definitely a case for an all-new RTR 87, which would be a logical step for Bachmann after their 90 is established.

Agreed. Depends on how well the 90 sells, but I'd say, watch this space............

cheers

Andy

There's been a step-wise change in attitude towards AC electrics, no doubt about that. I honestly think the Bachmann Class 90 will sell like hot cakes, and an 87 will not be far behind if that is the case. Hopefully Heljan fix their Class 86 and release a few more of those as well. I have all the diesels I want now, just waiting for up to date RTR AC electrics now. 

There's been a step-wise change in attitude towards AC electrics, no doubt about that. I honestly think the Bachmann Class 90 will sell like hot cakes, and an 87 will not be far behind if that is the case. Hopefully Heljan fix their Class 86 and release a few more of those as well. I have all the diesels I want now, just waiting for up to date RTR AC electrics now. 

I know that the same Bachmann developer who gave us the Blue Pullman and the 85, is the same guy who is working on the 90 - so we should be in for a treat..........

cheers

Andy

Archived