Slaters GWR 7mm Brake 3rd

Hi all

I was lucky enough to get one of these kits for Christmas today.

Can I start by saying I'm an experienced modeller, but I'm not used to railway modelling, so even some of the basic terms are alien to me. I've had a read of the instructions, and whilst they provide a wealth of historical information, I'm afraid I've never seen instructions quite so wordy, and quite so lacking in diagrammatic detail.

I'm wondering if anyone has done a review/writeup that might provide pictures, guidance, help for me.

If you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thank you

Andy

Andy,

I don't think I took any photo's of my build but there are some on Ian Mellors' Blog, (Redgate Models) which will help. If you are a Gauge O Guild Member there's also a brief article on the similarly designed kit of the Midland 6 wheeler, in the Gazette Archive, but there's not much in it, PM Me if you can't get access and I will send a copy.

I built a rake some years ago and found them to be pretty much as straightforward as an Airfix kit, though the underframes can be very fiddly.

post-18627-0-21529500-1419592337_thumb.jpg

If I recall correctly the only real part of the build that I wasn't happy with was the ducket on the Brake end, I struggled to fill and smooth the joint, however it's not that noticeable at normal viewing height and distance.

post-18627-0-51899400-1419592257_thumb.jpg

I picked up another 4 more, part finished, kits recently so if you get stuck on any particular part of the build, let me know and I can dig them out and hopefully illustrate how any bits go together.

Peter

Thanks for your help Peter. I'll certainly look up your links

I've tried not to be too critical of the instructions with the kit, partly because I'm not familiar with what railway kits usually offer. But to be honest they're shockingly bad. i feel like Sherlock Holmes setting forth on a new mystery.

What makes it even worse was that I contacted Slaters before ordering the kit to ask for a set of instructions so that I could see what was involved. They had the cheek to try and charge me £5 before they'd send me a copy, needless to say I didn't bother (but now wished I had)

Oh well. The game is afoot

If you can find a copy issue 24 of Model Railway Journal, from way back in 1988, has an article by Patrick Reardon about his build and the improvements he made to the Slaters Dean 4 wheel coach kits. It's a long time ago that I built my two examples but I seem to recall this article was very helpful.

Regards

Arthur

Archived