Piko train set shunter, what is it?

Neil

• RMweb Premium

I bought this shunter as part of a job lot. I know it's by Piko, it usually comes as part of a train set and that the drive train are a pair of elastic bands which loop around the motor shafts and thick axles between the wheel sets.

post-6793-0-49355700-1419693556_thumb.jpg

What I don't know is if it's supposed to represent any particular prototype (looks a bit American to me) and as a supplementary question does the latest train set incarnation of this loco also have elastic band power or has the mechanism been updated?

Thank you.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Dutch Master, I have just been browsing east European shunters and wondered if the Piko model might have taken it's inspiration from this one. There's a plan here so I should be able to see how accurate (and I guess not very) the Piko model is.

Hi Guys,

I think that the mystery loco looks rather more like the Athearn "Hustler" switcher http://misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.co.uk/2008/04/athearn-hustler.htmlrather than Piko's BN150 http://www.modellbahn-an-und-verkauf.de/db/images/GR2688.jpg which has a narrower hood. I don't know of a prototype for the Athearn one - I'll have a look.

I know the Athearn locos had rubber band drive, but yours also has factory fitted buffers and European couplers - a bit of a mystery.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

I have come accross the Piko modelof the T211.0 and it is easonably accruate as I remember, the hood is very different to the very square hood on this model.

The body definately looks like the Athearn model and the drive sounds like the old Athearn drive, perhaps a photo of the chassis / motor would help in identifing the manufacturer.

Of course it could just be an Eastern Block copy of a western product....

Patrick

It's altered slightly, with a moved locating hole.

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/athearnlocomotives/id145.htmlappears to show the origin of the body mould - Marx, Lionel and Athearn all had versions, with close similarities in one of the Model Power models (another Marx type originally?). With an introduction date of 1957, I suppose the Athearn Hustler might be vaguely inspired by the T.211, but it's not as if the US didn't have a large number of alternatives and it's often a case of designing a body to fit potential mechanisms with smaller models.

It looks to be the same model in Piko's 57090 (current?) starter set - if it's still got the 1950s "Hi-Fi" drive it's amazing...

To my eyes there are just too many differences from a T211.0 and the model looks more like something Plymouth might have built.

I have a Gützold model of a T211.0 (bought way back in 1973 in what was then Czechoslovakia), which is both accurate and similar to the "BN150" link in Dr Quinn's post (which I suspect might be Gützold badged as :Piko).  Mine is in a "semi-correct" CSD blue and with the normal heavyweight die-cast chassis typical of this late, lamented manufacturer.

To my eyes there are just too many differences from a T211.0 and the model looks more like something Plymouth might have built.

Oh, can't we speculate a nice bit of Cold War espionage? :jester: I've seen centre-cab kitbashes that look quite plausible; hopefully this means there may be more bodies available this side of the Atlantic.

I wonder if the Piko model has the same Warp Drive performance as the Athearn?

I think you've got it, Mark.  A copy of a US model of a (generic) US prototype, "adapted" for the European market (buffers).  I'm guessing that it was an early entry from Piko, before they got more established - and continued in production for the toy market.

It's altered slightly, with a moved locating hole.

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/athearnlocomotives/id145.htmlappears to show the origin of the body mould - Marx, Lionel and Athearn all had versions, with close similarities in one of the Model Power models (another Marx type originally?). With an introduction date of 1957, I suppose the Athearn Hustler might be vaguely inspired by the T.211, but it's not as if the US didn't have a large number of alternatives and it's often a case of designing a body to fit potential mechanisms with smaller models.

It looks to be the same model in Piko's 57090 (current?) starter set - if it's still got the 1950s "Hi-Fi" drive it's amazing...

Externally, and apart from the buffer beams and NEM coupler loop it seems to be identical to Lionel's "Husky" version of the original Athearn "Hustler". Lionel used the Athearn moulds with some changes and the model is supposedly based on an industrial switcher produced by H.K.Porter. http://wpporter.worthygems.com/HKPorterLocos.php  However, none of the Porter locos that I've found are an absolute ringer for the model (the 18ton switcher comes fairly close) and it does appear to have been generic of small diesel switchers rather than a scale model of an actual loco. A real loco probably would not have had both a front radiator and a roof fan and Athearn may have taken that detail from one of their larger diesels. These so called "critters" are still very popular with American modellers and remotorising kits are available.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you gentlemen, I've taken a look at the links and photos and while it appears that the Piko loco I have is a copy of the US pattern switchers, there is a fair resemblance to the CSD T211.0. I've printed out the drawing I found to HO scale and though the Piko loco is wildly over long, bits of it appear to match well, and there is some promise that a cut and shut Piko body with up to date running gear might make a credible model.

Thank you gentlemen, I've taken a look at the links and photos and while it appears that the Piko loco I have is a copy of the US pattern switchers, there is a fair resemblance to the CSD T211.0. I've printed out the drawing I found to HO scale and though the Piko loco is wildly over long, bits of it appear to match well, and there is some promise that a cut and shut Piko body with up to date running gear might make a credible model.

There were so many different designs of diesel shunters with so many variations built by so many manufacturers for so many mainly industrial customers that I don't think you'll have any problem with credibility. Just let anyone try to prove that there was never a shunter of which whatever you come up with is a dead scale model

Archived