Over zealous moderation?

PGC

There are two threads that have recently been locked. I do understand that sometimes threads MUST be locked, for example, the thread in Comet Models was locked because the content was in danger of desecrating Geoff Brewins good name.

However, when a thread is locked and there is no apparent reason, shouldn't the moderators put a reason, if only out of courtesy? The reason also gives information to other members about why the thread was locked so we, hopefully, won't fall in to the same trap.

We are, after all, a disparate bunch of people, but we all, hopefully, will abide by similar standards and one would like to think we are all seeking a similar goal, so if a thread is looking as though it will get contentious, can't the moderators just post a warning message and if the thread continues in such a way that the warning hasn't been heeded, then by all means lock the thread, but with a reason as well. To me, I feel as though the locking of threads without warning or reason is almost getting to the point of censorship of free speech.

In closing, I thank AndyY and the other moderators for the work they put in to keep this forum running (especially in view of the DoS attack on Christmas Eve that Andy has told us about - that's exactly what happened to Sony and Microsoft and look what a news story that was), I do realise that the moderators have a difficult job (I have to do the same job at my school, and there we're dealing with testosterone fuelled teenagers!), and I'm very thankful that they are there to make sure that personal insults, slander etc. are kept in check, but could they possibly be a little over zealous at times?

Phil

....I would prefer to see it require 10 different RMWebbers using a 'lock' button/icon to cause a thread to become locked, as that suggests wider spread agreement/shared viewpoints. Hearing moderators say, when they bother, that they're not prepared to badysit threads so they're locking a thread now 'just in case'....is a cop out and does the credibility of this site no favours.

Dave

Archived