More over-zealous moderation

• RMweb Gold

To me, I feel as though the locking of threads without warning or reason is almost getting to the point of censorship of free speech.

There is no free speech on someone else's web site. This site is owned by Andy Y and the servers belong to Warners. Anything which anyone posts here can only be with their permission.

If you want free speech you must set up your OWN web site.

Content which is not wanted on here should be DELETED, not locked in place forever with no chance for anyone to amend, correct, or update their contributions. And to do it without warning or explanation is an insult to them.

Martin.

If you have a post inside a lock thread, can you still ask a mod to remove it?

It is true some people say things in the heat of the moment that they regret, or realise can be read from another point of view, but essentially it is up to the poster to think on. And i for one think having a few rules is not such a bad thing. On some other railway sites, mods are slacker and it allows some real nastiness, and elsewhere mods treat the place like THEY own it. So perhaps having Warner own it, and Andy et al policing it is to me not such a bad thing. I like some mods only do specific areas as well. Will he occasionally make a decision you or I don't like, inevitably, but in the time I have been here I am yet to (strongly) disagree with any of the mods decisions. And, for me personally, I think have the thread policed makes it a nice place in general. 

If people want to have a ding can you not just take it to PMs?

Oh, and in my own opinion, we get to be on here with no fees, it is well structured, provides a lot of in house services, I had terrible trouble with my pictures getting lost on previous sites, here the My Gallery is a wonderful tool. The RMweb world is so big you can usually avoid these people that grate you, and in turn they can avoid you if you grate on them :angel: . The mods are also easy to contact. My cup is definitely half full....and occasionally runeths over LOL.

Content which is not wanted on here should be DELETED, not locked in place forever with no chance for anyone to amend, correct, or update their contributions. And to do it without warning or explanation is an insult to them.

Martin.

I'm pretty sure that if any member wanted to have their previous correspondence from a locked thread amended, corrected or updated then a p.m to Andy or one of the moderators could have this easily achieved.

The problem with deleting a thread completely may be that there were 10 pages of useful information for subsequent reference before a final page or two pages of disagreement. It could be argued that the first ten pages can be kept and the others removed but this in turn causes work for a moderating team which I doubt have the time.

All in all it would be a lot easier if everyone on here (including me) kept their egos in check but we are only human after all.

There is no free speech on someone else's web site. This site is owned by Andy Y and the servers belong to Warners. Anything which anyone posts here can only be with their permission.

If you want free speech you must set up your OWN web site.

Martin.

Hi,

Set up your own website - allow free speech to anyone but yourself - sit back an wait for the legal actions to start - loose everything including posibly your freedom.

No, i'd much prefer to stay here under the watchful eye of Andy.

Regards

Archived