Cobalt choices

js1975

I have trawled forums and search engines for a good clear answer to this. Have also emailed DCCconcepts on the subject. However I still remain somewhat unclear on the distinct differences between the various options of Cobalt point motor:

Cobalt Classic

Cobalt Digital

Cobalt Classic Omega

Cobalt iP Analog

Cobalt iP Digital

I get the digital part means an integrated DCC decoder. I understand the iP is better power handling. Am not clear on the Omega version. Of course this maybe listed somewhere in a good comparison chart. I just cannot find it! Am going to fit up my layout with these motors but want to be sure I am getting the correct product.

My understanding is that the list represents the upgrading of the basic motor over time, now called "Classic". One change is that later models have the operating bar centred when they leave the factory, rather than being across to one side. Another change appears to be the improvement of the internal workings (claimed to make them quieter and more reliable) and (I think) the addition of an extra inbuilt switch on the iP model. The iP is apparently also less fussy about the operating voltage than the other models.

There is explanation of what they are on the DCC Concepts product pages. All of them change points in the same way; all have an inbuilt switch to change the crossing polarity if required. All have at least one other inbuilt switch to work something else. I don't have experience (yet) of using any of them, but I have some Classic and iP motors waiting to install on a layout.

Archived