Marlow & Maidenhead Model Railway Club Exhibition

2mmMark

As a member of MM&DMRC I would say the following:-

The entrance charge is all a matter of covering the costs of running the show, it's not about maximizing the surplus. The short answer is, if we don't charge that figure we cannot afford to run the show.

Yes, it's all a bit more complex than that of course, it's about assessing the likely attendance and dealing with the expenses, hall hire, layout expenses, insurance etc etc, then deciding on the figure to cover all that. Attendance year on year can vary quite a bit depending on weather, other events locally etc etc, so there is a need for bit of a 'comfort margin' to cover that sort of risk.

Balancing all that out that results in an entry fee that we feel is reasonable, we don't just think of a figure that we feel that we 'can-get-away-with'. There are limits of course, as if we are asking more than potential visitors see as reasonable, the door numbers drop off and our reputation suffers.

One important aim of the show is to attract new members, as there is always a small attrition over the years and without new members the club would just fade away.

I hope that gives some insight into how we set our entrance fees.

John

As I said in my original post, I do appreciate that what you charge isn't entirely within your control. And I certainly don't feel ripped off - and actually I think the catering prices were lower than at other shows. But I do feel that other shows offer more 'bang for your buck'. But i'll be back next year... if i'm still allowed in anyway :)

• RMweb Gold

I liked the way the show was laid out this year although I do wonder how Priory Books did right up at the far end.  the club stand was fairly obvious if you stopped to look at it (and be offered the chance to win a train ride) so perhaps it wasn't so much poorly situated (I didn't think it was) as needing to be made a bit more obvious?

As I said in my original post, I do appreciate that what you charge isn't entirely within your control. And I certainly don't feel ripped off - and actually I think the catering prices were lower than at other shows. But I do feel that other shows offer more 'bang for your buck'. But i'll be back next year... if i'm still allowed in anyway :)

See your point station cat and and do appreciate your understanding our particular situation. We do try our best with what we have and look forward to seeing you next year (yes we will let you in :sungum:  )

regards

John

Archived