Fleischmann Driving Trailers on DCC

FleischmannMan

I have a couple of Fleischmann HO driving trailers (for the ends of push-pull trains) purchased before DCC became popular. One is a turquoise and cream double decker and the other is a 'Silverfish'.  These have directional lights at one end i.e. white or red according to direction of travel). On analogue layouts the DC polarity ensures that the correct colour lights are shown - unless the train is stationary when the voltage is zero of course.  These lights were designed for 12v DC.  

My question is - What will happen to the lights with the slightly higher DCC voltage?  In particular will they be wrecked?

I notice that more recent Fleischmann driving trailers include a DCC 'chip'.  I've not yet looked into how easy it would be to 'chip' these carriages - I know that Fleischmann items can sometimes be challenging to convert.

If you look in the 'spares' section of Fleischmann or Roco (and other similar manufactirers), you will find that the replacement bulbs on offer have been 16V rated for some time ... as part of the preparation for dcc  .... however, the best advice is to consider changing to LEDs although this is not always easy!!    Alternatively, use a basic decoder for about 9-10ukp, and have controllable coach lighting at the same time, by using it to run the bulbs on function outputs - this works out cheaper than changing to using a powered-coupling between coaches to tap into the main decoder!

Do watch out for use of the chassis in making the existing connections - usually to the flange of the bulbs. A fully-insulated LED solution is to be preferred.

Archived