A Southern Workbench in the frozen North. Current projects; 00 Gauge LB&SCR Balloon Coach, N Gauge Stroudley 4 Wheelers

On 28/07/2023 at 11:43, SR Rich said:

Does anyone know where I can find the correct bogies?

Its probably not entirely correct, but I think the bogies are Fox? Patent Bogies - similar to the Midland Railway ones that come with the old Ratio Midland Coaches (in 4mm at least), I have been guilty of using Bulleid Bogies under my LBSCR coaches - which isn't correct, but they are relatively inexpensive from Bachmann and come with metal wheels included. I'm not sure about 2mm or 7mm.

Can I just say - I am literally in awe of your modelling the LBSCR in three scales! I have watched and will continue to watch eagerly awaiting more. I have to ask however, would you print a Balloon Trailer to sell?

Kind Regards,
Gary

Edited by Matloughe

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2023 at 00:40, Matloughe said:

Its probably not entirely correct, but I think the bogies are Fox? Patent Bogies - similar to the Midland Railway ones that come with the old Ratio Midland Coaches (in 4mm at least), I have been guilty of using Bulleid Bogies under my LBSCR coaches - which isn't correct, but they are relatively inexpensive from Bachmann and come with metal wheels included. I'm not sure about 2mm or 7mm.

Can I just say - I am literally in awe of your modelling the LBSCR in three scales! I have watched and will continue to watch eagerly awaiting more. I have to ask however, would you print a Balloon Trailer to sell?

Kind Regards,
Gary

Hello Gary

Thank you for your suggestions for the bogies for 4 mm, I have now found a couple of places I can get the LBSCR 8" bogies from in 7mm and thank you for your kind comment.

Richard

On 09/09/2022 at 13:36, SR Rich said:

I have been designing some wagons for 3D printing, the first try has been LBSCR covered vans to diagram 1433.

I have been able to make 2 versions, the covered goods van and a poultry van.

Picture below shows both body styles, poultry van on the right with the louvers, both O gauge.

IMG_4889.JPG.46a3317ee18c6d2e1a4da8dc739f2438.JPG

This is the kit of parts I have produced for the poultry van (O gauge).

The buffers have been designed to use metal sprung buffers and a nice simple brake system.

IMG_4884.JPG.57f6a8c84012fc839a7dbdab0a3b4bee.JPG

This is the kit of parts for the covered goods van (O gauge).

IMG_4883.JPG.e0eea85fe6a8547b2d116a90377ae16d.JPG

Next is a the smaller version for OO scale

With the OO wagons, I have produced the buffers a single piece and all the pieces obviously needs a bit of cleaning up before building.

IMG_4882.JPG.6761f171e0b117025d300d060c918d5b.JPG

The poultry van with w irons/axle boxes fitted along with the NEM pockets fitted for testing on the layout.

IMG_4885.JPG.edbf6c9f300d4c75db6b790820ebc4fa.JPG

I have designed three types of w iron/axle boxes.

Top left is my interpretation of a post 1905 set up, I need to alter the angle of the piece on the bed before printing, so that the letters come out sharper.

The two on the right are a pre 1905 set up, the top one just roughly painted to show off the lettering.

The one on the bottom left is just a plain version of the one above.

IMG_4887.JPG.d587e63aaff25fbb878f6409c38621ca.JPG

You may see some small differences in the vans in the pictures, this is because I have been improving, changing and altering some details between each printing.

Ok, the next job is to make up the OO gauge wagons and get painting, the O gauge models will be built after undercoating because the w iron assembly is not flexible enough to install the wheels if they are glued in without the axles and I do not want paint on the wheels.

A usual any questions or comment welcome.

Richard

Lovely looking vans, where did you get these from? 

9 hours ago, LBSC123 said:

Lovely looking vans, where did you get these from? 

Hi

Thank you for your kind words.

All the vans and associated parts, I have designed and printed myself.

I have some more items of rolling stock I am working on for the future.

Richard

Hello

A couple of updates for today.

I will start with the LBSCR D1, last mentioned back in April, this I started a few weeks ago and I am quite happy with progress so far.

I started with the chassis.

After soldering in the axle bearings I use the Poppys Woodtech loco box (i think it is called) to hold the chassis square and flat (not twisting) while I soldered in the motor mount and frame stretcher in place, I then put it all together and check it runs freely either on a rolling road or the layout.

I then take it all apart and paint the frames and this time the wheels, I first use the Tamiya metal priming spray, Black spray undercoat, then the appropriate colour on the frames and finish with a satin varnish.

After painting is when I then add the pick ups for the motor, two of the driving  wheels that came with are insulated, so this time I have a live chassis and only need pick ups on the wheels on one side of the chassis. I used phosphor bronze strip for the pick ups, which is difficult to see on these pictures.

IMG_5816.JPG.b007e71cc5ea7195155906b56848d3fd.JPG

I have used the DS 10 motor, its a bit noisy but works ok and came with the kit.

I had to add the suppressor ( I think its called, I am sure someone will correct me ) to the motor because it either turned the lights on in the Hornby four wheeler's on the adjacent track or upset the signals on the layout.

IMG_5817.JPG.acd838c47b7b3511b91313ff62f42d35.JPG

Here is a few pictures of the body, the chimney looks as though it is sloping forward a lot but It has been exaggerated by the camera, its not as bad as it looks and will be rectified before painting.

The body is finished apart from attaching the roof, I leave this of for ease of painting inside the cab and putting a driver and fireman in.

IMG_5813.JPG.b0a1ef7032e3f014e5206afe880e5906.JPG

IMG_5814.JPG.c4e94b559253d762e4cfa167aad6fb6c.JPG

This I think is now ready for painting.

IMG_5815.JPG.d1c53c2b9629d6eb3c08364b072c94ff.JPG

The other thing is continuing with some 3D printing projects.

I have designed the interior for the balloon trailers, this is O gauge and the interior is in two parts because they are easier to handle and the printer is not large enough to print the full length.

IMG_5811.JPG.356dd1a40e39c1b936c2c4445c409995.JPG

And this is the interior in place.

IMG_5808.JPG.acd836f6f562b65ccb37eb56b96014f9.JPG

All I need now is more resin to arrive, so that I can print out an improved version of the body and other projects.

As usual any comments or questions welcome.

Richard

Edited by SR Rich
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello

Here are a few pictures of the locos I have just finished.

The terrier is a Hornby loco but was in KESR blue livery ( unfortunately Hornby do not produce the terrier in LBSCR umber), this has been repainted, lined and crew added.

The D1, since the last post I have straightened the chimney, it was then painted, lined, coal added and crew painted and planted.

IMG_5846.JPG.498d1492504f10e9a7c2935e5ebf1085.JPG

IMG_5849.JPG.ebef6642afdd4cced1d642a732325a6e.JPG

IMG_5850.JPG.1cfb965ddeb52e0d619f4400b523b864.JPG

These terrier will go with the balloon coach and the D1 with the umber liveried stroudley coaches, ready for the exhibition this weekend.

I will post up some pictures after the weekend of these locos with the appropriate coaches.

As usual any comments or questions welcome.

Richard

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Hello SR Rich

I suggest you give Roxey Mouldings a call regarding your driving brake balloon coach bogies as I am going to collect my LB&SCR balloon trailing coach kit in O gauge brass from him at the Guildford O Gauge Group trade show of which I am a member , venue being at the Guildford Spectrum sports Centre Surrey 2nd December 2023

Kind regards,

Paul Williams. 

On 16/11/2023 at 17:58, Paul Williams said:

Hello SR Rich

I suggest you give Roxey Mouldings a call regarding your driving brake balloon coach bogies as I am going to collect my LB&SCR balloon trailing coach kit in O gauge brass from him at the Guildford O Gauge Group trade show of which I am a member , venue being at the Guildford Spectrum sports Centre Surrey 2nd December 2023

Kind regards,

Paul Williams. 

Hello Paul

Thank you for your suggestion, I actually got some brass bogie etches from Invertrain and will add my own resin printed axle boxes etc to the side of the etches.

Is it a Balloon driving trailer you are collecting from Roxey Mouldings? I cannot find any O gauge balloon trailers on the Roxey Mouldings web site.

Look forward to seeing the balloon kit when you have built it and enjoy the show in December.

Richard