ROCO LOKMAUS/MULTIMAUS DCC CONTROL SYSTEM

jimikelly

• RMweb Premium

I've used one for several years, have one each of the red (wired) and the blue (wireless) versions.  I find them very simple to use; the centre off dial works particularly well on a shunting layout and the 5 digit display is great for displaying full TOPS numbers and it's very easy to scroll through the locos stored in the address book.  I use a Sprog for programming which has several other advantages as well as giving you the ability to read CVs. 

There are actually ADVANTAGES in not having to read back when programming !!!. (Amongst other things, it is faster, and is less lkely to fail due to any inability to read back due to return-pulse currents being out of range). Most of the time, you do not need, or have any interest in t, the old value.   That said, the RED (Grey if Fleischmann) Multimaus WILL READ BACK IF connected tot he MultiCentralePro (as with the Blue Wireless MultimausPRO Controllers, OR if the 'Rocomotion' Box which ALSO provides the cpompute interface, is connected, to provide the separate programming track. (Without the Rocomotion box, programming is on thecommon mainline track, or by Programming on Main) (An openDCC interface can be used to give computer connectivity cheaply for ANY EXPRESSNET protocol based controller ... less than15Euro for a simple to build kit.

However, I strongly recommend a SPROG connected to a computer (and JMRI) to log and read all CVs if you are the knind of person who wants to keep tweeking them !

As for operational use - I have many Red Multimice (and 4 of the wireless handsets) which I use across a range of layouts from H0 portable, 00 loft, and G Scale Portable layouts.

I find them the mosr comfortable, shaoed controller, usable single handledly, either left or right handed, and with a the free choice of either a 5 character name (64 locos in a 'library' stored in each controller) or 1-9999 numeric selection - TOGETHER with instant access to Point/Accessory control with inbuilt graphic (for 'Normal' or Reverse', or Straight/Curved - but equally usable for Left and Right if preferred.   Usable by total novices too, it can have the programming options locked out.

The manual mistakenly states that the 64 per handset Library can (only) be used for CV1 - but in fact it is for any loco number 1-9999 (long and short addresses). And it uses Expressnet as per Lenz.

There are actually ADVANTAGES in not having to read back when programming !!!. (Amongst other things, it is faster, and is less lkely to fail due to any inability to read back due to return-pulse currents being out of range). Most of the time, you do not need, or have any interest in t, the old value.  

The same function that allows readback is also used to check that writes work. If there's no readback then you also have no way to know if the new data is written correctly.

Andrew

The same function that allows readback is also used to check that writes work. If there's no readback then you also have no way to know if the new data is written correctly.

Andrew

Although the Roco Multiumaus, when used only with the basic amplifier, does not offer readback, it will still detect an error due to the current being excessivley out of range.

Otherwise, Writing a specific CV value to the a loco address and seein the loco then respond on that address is perfectly good enough verification to me that it works!!!

If writing the Addrss works ( or resetting it) I find the others work equally well too.   'The need to Read (CVs) ' is overrated

Archived