LNWR diag 103 livery

Spitfire2865

Hello everyone.

Im wondering if anyone has information on how the LMS lettered these wagons. Did they follow convention or were there any special markings.

Any photo of one of these in LMS livery would help as well. I believe it is covered in an LNWR wagon book but I have no access to any books.

Thank you.

There are several photos of D103 one-plank opens in LNWR Wagons Vol. 1 (Wild Swan Publications). The letters LMS were centred on the wagon sides and were the same size as LNWR in earlier times, almost covering the height of the side. Tare weight (typically between 5.12.0 and 6.2.0) was in very small numbers at the left hand side above the outer spring hanger. The load weight (10T) was at the right hand end of the side,  appearing to be mid way up the side (though not as large as on the LNWR liveried wagon (see below))  and the number to the extreme left towards the top of the side, the same size as the 10T, was a typical lay out.

This will give you a rough idea www.lnwrs.org.uk/Wagons/open/Diag103.php what I'm on about.

Edited to clarify the tare and load weights.

There are several photos of D103 one-plank opens in LNWR Wagons Vol. 1 (Wild Swan Publications). The letters LMS were centred on the wagon sides and were the same size as LNWR in earlier times, almost covering the height of the side. Tare weight (typically 10 tons) was at the right hand end (no as large as on the LNWR liveried wagon (see below)  and the number to the extreme left was a typical lay out.

This will give you a rough idea www.lnwrs.org.uk/Wagons/open/Diag103.php what I'm on about.

I do already know of the link you have provided.

So these wagons werent given any special markings. Ok. The conventional LMS livery is simple enough.

Could you tell me if "LMS" was kept together in the center or if it was spread out on the sides. I havent seen many LMS opens with lettering squished in the center.

Kept in the centre with all three letters placed between the pair of hinges on the sides. The L and S almost touched the raised hinges (but not quite) with the M being centred on the side (as you'd expect). This applies to the pre-1936 grey livery.

Post-1936 small lettering was used with tare weight, number and company initials placed to the left hand end.

There are several photos of D103 one-plank opens in LNWR Wagons Vol. 1 (Wild Swan Publications). The letters LMS were centred on the wagon sides and were the same size as LNWR in earlier times, almost covering the height of the side. Tare weight (typically 10 tons) was at the right hand end (no as large as on the LNWR liveried wagon (see below)  and the number to the extreme left was a typical lay out.

The wagon LOAD capacity was 10 Tons. The tare (empty) weight varied somewhat with the easily visible examples in LNWR Wagons being 6.1.2, 5.12, 5.11.1, 5.19.0 and 5.14.0. The book shows several examples in LMS and BR liveries.

Thanks Bruce for clarifying matters regarding tare and load weights. My only excuse must be that I was suffering a senior moment. My post #2 has been edited accordingly.

These wagons lasted until the 1960s. I presume you're planning building the David Geen kit, Spit. I've been admiring some very nice work on your Flickr site, excellent stuff!

Thanks Bruce for clarifying matters regarding tare and load weights. My only excuse must be that I was suffering a senior moment. My post #2 has been edited accordingly.

These wagons lasted until the 1960s. I presume you're planning building the David Geen kit, Spit. I've been admiring some very nice work on your Flickr site, excellent stuff!

My workbench thread is much more up to date. Its actually started, but I still have a bit before Im ready to letter the wagon.

Archived