Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Fremington Quay, N gauge 1960-75 ish

bridgiesimon

Ok, after lots of background research and thinking I have decided that 2015 is the year of the new layout, yes i know that my 'Hobbiton End' and 'Polpendra' layouts are both developing and progessing but this new project has been in my mind for a while now.

Firstly some background information behind my decision. I have relatives living in North Devon and Fremington Quay is a favourite place to visit for a walk and a coffee, the cafe in the station building is most recommended should you find yourself in the area and also has a great heritage centre/museum!!! I was sat there on the platform drinking a coffee relaxing one day a while ago and I started looking with a different eye, the modellers thought process had started. I realised that with a natural exit into cuttings each end, a short bridge over the river and a, at one time, very busy quay side, this would make a great model railway. Add on to that the surviving station buildings and platform as well as the quay its self suggested that developing the layout should not be too much of a problem.

As can be seen on the following page, the quantities of goods moved through the port was large for such an out of way place so when operating, lots of freight movement in addition to a range of local and through passenger services should provide an interesting and varied sequence to keep the operators interested for hours as well.

A frew hours research later and things got complicated, not just when I started to look at the track plans, I quickly found that the station buildings are not original and do not even look similar to the originals. I have spent a lot of time researching images and trying to develop a track plan, still ongoing but starting to get there now. several key people have come to my aid in different ways finding information for the project, most noteable George Reeve who provided several new images as well as a later era track plan which solved a few confusions for me. I have also found the Ball Clay Heritage Society most helpful for information.

By the way, the website for the Fremington Quay cafe and heritage centre is here -

http://www.fremingtonquay.co.uk/

Anyway, enough for now but I will keep this thread going as I develop the plan and then describe thorugh the construction of the layout, hopefully getting onto the exhibition circuit wth it in the future.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 7

I have the makings of enough stock to run the layout as of 1958 slowly changing stock until running in mid/late 1970s although by then the track plan had been changed and many buildings demolished.

I am looking forward to getting going on this one, it is the first time I have attempted modelling a real location and am already finding it very different and well worth it.

best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon

Good sounding project!

I've always thought that Fremington Quay would make a great model, for the reasons that you mentioned.

I grew up in Fremington and spend many a Saturday and summer holidays from school down at the station, mostly around the lime kilns! At this time, the single line was still open with occasional trains to and from Meeth. Some of the track in the yard still existed along with the old building on the quay. Also, the abatoir was open and found a few pigs trotters alongside the footpath!

The 'replica' station building isn't right and the signal box is on the wrong platform! Other than that, worth a visit!

I'm assuming that you will be building with the quay at the front and running both tracks at each end round to a fiddle yard?

Looking forward to updates!

Yep, the idea is to use the natural geology of the location and have the quay at the front with the scenery rising steeply behind the station to the backscene. I know the new build is not a copy but it does look great and as mentioned, the cafe is very good!!

There is a surprising lot of remains there, I visited during last week and noticed that you can see where the signal box used to stand if you look along the remains of the back edge of the second platform, there are blue bricks all along and the a straight section with red bricks only where the box used to stand.

I do have a few problem areas, the old building on the quay you mention being one of them, do you remember much about what it loked like? I have a couple of pictures which have it in the background but both are very grainy and from the same angle looking back from the Barnstaple side of the site.

Look forward to meeting up again and enjoying a chat about the place. (O.T. Not long to the new season!!!)

Best wishes

Simon

P.S. maybe when the time comes, the Barnstaple show could be the ideal first show for the layout, wink, wink, nugde, nudge, say no more!

Edited by bridgiesimon

Yep, the idea is to use the natural geology of the location and have the quay at the front with the scenery rising steeply behind the station to the backscene. I know the new build is not a copy but it does look great and as mentioned, the cafe is very good!!

There is a surprising lot of remains there, I visited during last week and noticed that you can see where the signal box used to stand if you look along the remains of the back edge of the second platform, there are blue bricks all along and the a straight section with red bricks only where the box used to stand.

I do have a few problem areas, the old building on the quay you mention being one of them, do you remember much about what it loked like? I have a couple of pictures which have it in the background but both are very grainy and from the same angle looking back from the Barnstaple side of the site.

Look forward to meeting up again and enjoying a chat about the place. (O.T. Not long to the new season!!!)

Best wishes

Simon

P.S. maybe when the time comes, the Barnstaple show could be the ideal first show for the layout, wink, wink, nugde, nudge, say no more!

Have you seen Southern Branch LInes by Michael Welch (Capital Transport), page 98 has two colour photos.

One photo from the Bideford end of the south platform looking towards Barnstaple with the waiting room and signal box to the left of the shot.

The other photo, also from the Bideford end taken from a train window as a train leaves towards Torrington, the view is of the quay sidings with cranes and a coaster alongside,

cheers 

• RMweb Gold

Re the building, I'll have a look through a couple books. Don't remember too many details, but will have a think. I do remember it being a stone building and mostly then being used by the fishermen!

I'll definitely make space for Barnstaple show July 2016! Will be great to have a layout of a local location, although likely that your get some comments!

Thanks for the thought from Weston Super Mare Mr Rivercider, I do have that book, those are two of the best piccies I have found so far, I bought it at a show recently having spotted those piccies when browsing. Other useful book include 'Branch Line to Torrington' (Mitchell and Smith) and the new version of 'Lines to Torrington' (Reeve and Nicholas). I have got extracts and pioccies from several other books showing suitable trains for the area as well to help with developing a suitable stock list for the layout.

I doubt I will get much done this weekend as we are exhibiting Hobbiton End at the Weston Super Mare show on Sunday, well worth a trip if you are in the area.

best wishes

Simon

Thanks for the thought from Weston Super Mare Mr Rivercider, I do have that book, those are two of the best piccies I have found so far, I bought it at a show recently having spotted those piccies when browsing. Other useful book include 'Branch Line to Torrington' (Mitchell and Smith) and the new version of 'Lines to Torrington' (Reeve and Nicholas). I have got extracts and pioccies from several other books showing suitable trains for the area as well to help with developing a suitable stock list for the layout.

I doubt I will get much done this weekend as we are exhibiting Hobbiton End at the Weston Super Mare show on Sunday, well worth a trip if you are in the area.

best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon

I have been to every Weston show so far, and pretty good they have been too.

I hope to be there, so will stop by and say hello,

cheers 

Great idea for your new layout Simon, and if past achievements are anything to go by, I'm sure it will be terrific! 

I agree that the cafe is pretty good and it's an ideal place to stop off for a break, or even cycle through, which we have done a couple of times! It's a great route to ride along, in both directions, having made it as far as Watergate Halt (from Barnstaple).

All the best for 2015 and I look forward to seeing your progress.

exmoordave

• 5 months later...

Progress is very minimal, this project is still on the go, I have been concentrating on a long run of exhibitions for my other 2 layouts but am slowly expanding the stock for Fremington as well as finding piccies and information. The stone building on the quay is still an issue, lack of piccies but getting better for the rest of the site.

Best wishes

SImon

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Simon

I have this photo of Fremington quay took me while to dig it out, also I have the plans of the two Crain that where used in the yard for unloading, if you would like them PM me.

Darren

post-6929-0-62142000-1435795788_thumb.jpg

Edited by darren01
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My next research question I am looking into in case anyone reading this has any thoughts is whether fishing boats ever landed their catches in Fremington. The re-release of Revell's North Sea Fishing Trawler kit has got me thinking about whether it is suitable or not. Not many ships around in N gauge!

http://www.modelships.info/debrisfield/reviews/cs-fishingtrawler/northseafishingtrawler.html

best wishes

Simon

My next research question I am looking into in case anyone reading this has any thoughts is whether fishing boats ever landed their catches in Fremington. The re-release of Revell's North Sea Fishing Trawler kit has got me thinking about whether it is suitable or not. Not many ships around in N gauge!

http://www.modelships.info/debrisfield/reviews/cs-fishingtrawler/northseafishingtrawler.html

best wishes

Simon

I have to admit being tempted by the Revell Trawler. I understand it's typical of the type used in the North Sea around the 1960's so, at a pinch it might just fit the bill.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 04/01/2015 at 20:07, bridgiesimon said:

Ok, after lots of background research and thinking I have decided that 2015 is the year of the new layout, yes i know that my 'Hobbiton End' and 'Polpendra' layouts are both developing and progessing but this new project has been in my mind for a while now.

Firstly some background information behind my decision. I have relatives living in North Devon and Fremington Quay is a favourite place to visit for a walk and a coffee, the cafe in the station building is most recommended should you find yourself in the area and also has a great heritage centre/museum!!! I was sat there on the platform drinking a coffee relaxing one day a while ago and I started looking with a different eye, the modellers thought process had started. I realised that with a natural exit into cuttings each end, a short bridge over the river and a, at one time, very busy quay side, this would make a great model railway. Add on to that the surviving station buildings and platform as well as the quay its self suggested that developing the layout should not be too much of a problem.

As can be seen on the following page, the quantities of goods moved through the port was large for such an out of way place so when operating, lots of freight movement in addition to a range of local and through passenger services should provide an interesting and varied sequence to keep the operators interested for hours as well.

A frew hours research later and things got complicated, not just when I started to look at the track plans, I quickly found that the station buildings are not original and do not even look similar to the originals. I have spent a lot of time researching images and trying to develop a track plan, still ongoing but starting to get there now. several key people have come to my aid in different ways finding information for the project, most noteable George Reeve who provided several new images as well as a later era track plan which solved a few confusions for me. I have also found the Ball Clay Heritage Society most helpful for information.

By the way, the website for the Fremington Quay cafe and heritage centre is here -

http://www.fremingtonquay.co.uk/

Anyway, enough for now but I will keep this thread going as I develop the plan and then describe thorugh the construction of the layout, hopefully getting onto the exhibition circuit wth it in the future.

Best wishes

Simon

Hello Simon,

I was wondering how you got on with your plan for a Fremington quay model railway? I work in Fremington and am considering making a railway model of the quay area. I’d be very interested to see your plans or photos of your Fremington layout.

Best wishes 

Charlie