Dublo A4 wheels slipping on axle !

Hi all I have a lovely old Dublo Silver King A4. She has had a lot of use and has needed a lot of TLC, I needed to fit a new magnet which made her run well again but now there are other problems arising.

Whoever had this before converted it from 3 rail to 2 rail and had not quartered it quite right, They also oiled it like mad and the insulated side is slipping causing jams.

I have had to remove the wheels to de grease them and now I am wondering if I could rewheel it with other types of wheels and retain the original motion.

I have seen that it can be done but what's easiest or best route to achieve this. What brands etc.

Another option is for me to refit with loctite 603 and hope for the best but I'm not sure this is going to work out well in the long run.

I don't want to give up on her she's a lovely old loco.

Cheers Rob :)

Many years ago,i rewheeled a Dublo Duchess of Atholl using Romford wheels & axles. The original Dublo axles are 1/8" diameter so there should be no problem.

http://www.markits.com/info.php

Ray.

Cheers Ray I thought it was markits wheels I had seen used, Do you need to mod how the rods and eccentric fit ?

No,you can use 1/16" snaphead rivets & the return crank can be glued in using Araldite or similar,if the coupling rod holes are worn,open out the holes & rebush with a piece of 1/16" ID brass tube soldered in.

Hope this helps,Ray.

No,you can use 1/16" snaphead rivets & the return crank can be glued in using Araldite or similar,if the coupling rod holes are worn,open out the holes & rebush with a piece of 1/16" ID brass tube soldered in.

Hope this helps,Ray.

Thanks very much so the pins that held the motionin place on the original can be used with the romford/markits now that is handy.

Looks like I willbe putting an ordering for a full set for the A4 then. Should look nifty when done.

I ordered some scalelink wheels which looks to be the same as romfords but with black plastic centres to have a crack at.

I am now wondering how to best remove the motion pins if possible. Just to make it possible to get the front wheel on axle out.

Hi,

When ordering replacement wheels take care to get replacements for the Dublo ones which are IIRC about 24mm dia. Buying a set of scale size wheels for an A4 (which would work out at about 27mm dia) will not work on the slightly underscale  Dublo chassis. I found this out as a teenage modeller (alas more than 50 years ago now) when I attempted to convert a 3rail to 2rail and improve the appearance at the same time by fitting Romford wheels (which are now Markits).

best wishes,

Ian

Hi,

When ordering replacement wheels take care to get replacements for the Dublo ones which are IIRC about 24mm dia. Buying a set of scale size wheels for an A4 (which would work out at about 27mm dia) will not work on the slightly underscale  Dublo chassis. I found this out as a teenage modeller (alas more than 50 years ago now) when I attempted to convert a 3rail to 2rail and improve the appearance at the same time by fitting Romford wheels (which are now Markits).

best wishes,

Ian

Ah I had wondered about that I have seen Dublos with scale wheels or larger than the dublo ones. I got some 26mm 20 spokes but if they don't fit I can use them go another project.

I don't mind the look of the underscale dublo wheels If these don't fit I will get some replacements of a comparable size.

Cheers for the advise Rob :)

I ordered some scalelink wheels which looks to be the same as romfords but with black plastic centres to have a crack at.

I am now wondering how to best remove the motion pins if possible. Just to make it possible to get the front wheel on axle out.

After you have removed the wheels from the HD axles,the crankpins are some times peened over slightly.Use a swiss file to remove the mushroom on the back of the wheel & use a small punch to knock them out.

Ray.

After you have removed the wheels from the HD axles,the crankpins are some times peened over slightly.Use a swiss file to remove the mushroom on the back of the wheel & use a small punch to knock them out.

Ray.

Cheers Ray. I managed to get them all off now and removed the pin holding the motion to the left hand side near the cylinder. Now the new wheels can be fitted.. If they fit that is.,.

Its interesting seeing how Dublo fitted the pins for the motion etc. Simply pushing in with spines for a friction fit. Seem risky but it obviously works as long as there is not a quartering issue.

I am glad the motion was made tough on these albeit thin. Rather than the modern equivelant on some makes thats about as strong as tin foil.

Hi,

best wishes,

Ian

Thanks for that just to tell you the wheels came lovely too but you remembered right they are ever so slightly too big because of the casting protrusions around the chassis.

I got 26 mm ones with 20 spokes I could take metal away or take flange away. But I will go for either 24 or 23 mm ones and keep these for another loco.

I see the width at the flange and face can vary from wheel to wheel. I can see the dublo wheel is 25mm at the flange which is very deep and the face 22mm wide.

The scale links having much thinner flange and a greater face width so o guess 23 mm will give a better look and fit plus the scale link 23 mm have nice thick rims over the 24mm.

It's all a learning curve (wheels / curve ... See what I did there !) and a fun one too. I am very impressed with the scale link wheels very nice indeed. Highly recommended

Archived