Sound but no movement Hornby factory fitted DCC sound class 50

mossdp

I have a Hornby class 50 with DCC sound 50037 Illustrious. It had never been used until this point. The engine sound starts correctly on both DCC and DC but there is no movement at all. A friend put the loco on a Decoder Pro set up and it gave error 301. The loco obviously makes good electrical contact with the track as the sound throttles up as power is increased but the wheels do not turn. Nothing obviously blocking them. Does anyone have any ideas please?

• RMweb Gold

Is it possible to unplug the decoder and fit a blanking plug to check the mechanical side of things.

Check with another decoder that you know is working to see if it is the motor side of the sound decoder?

It may be the motor and/or the wiring between the decoder and the motor is/are faulty, or the PCB may itself be faulty.

Do a visual inspection of the wiring from the PCB to the motor. Do not use a continuity tester unless you have removed the decoder from the PCB first. or you will kill the decoder.

I would also try removing the decoder and then applying 12V DC power direct to the motor. If the motor doesn't run then you know it is the motor.

If the wiring is OK and the motor runs when DC is applied then you know that the fault is either in the PCB, or the decoder. At that point I'd try fitting the decoder in another loco, and if it works in that loco then you know it is the PCB in the original loco. If the decoder displays the same symptoms in the other loco then you know it is the decoder.   

Ive had loksound 3.5s fail in a way that the sound works but the motor control portion has failed, can you read the CVs? if not try it in another loco, if this fails then the sound decoder has failed

I had a loco with this issue - the sound worked but no movement. It was down to finding the correct address! Yes, it sounded ok, revved up, etc. but I was using the incorrect address. Some sound locos also have a 'neutral' position using one of the sound function keys that need that function key pressing again to release it.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

• 1 month later...

Archived