Mystery location.

5Bel

Hi All,

Bit of a teaser for you. These pictures were taken on my travels with the Royal Air Force. I wasn't expecting to find any railways here at all.

post-7006-12657270590285_thumb.jpg

post-7006-12657270893492_thumb.jpg

Good luck trying to identify it, like I said I wasn't expecting to find railways here at all.

Cheers for now, Ian

Hi Guys,

Not bad at all, though it's not Stanley. I knew about the railway at Stanley. I will keep the answer under my (Benny) hat for now.

Hmmm... 'Benny' still ( ;) ) makes me think South Atlantic... did the whaling station on South Georgia have a tramway?

• RMweb Premium

After searching around this site http://www.railwaysofthefarsouth.co.uk/ could it be one of the 4 railways found on Ascension Island ??

Must admit that my first thought was the Falklands - the site quoted above has a lot of information about the line from Camber to the radio station at Moody Brook. Also mentions Port Stanley harbour railway as well as remains at San Carlos, Goose Green and Port Howard. South Georgia is also covered in a separate article.

Mike

Hi,

I have just had a look at the website from the link in the above post. I wish I had known about all these railways in the Falklands and Ascension Island whilst I was still serving. I did five four month tours of the Falklands and spent quite a bit of time at Ascension as well. The location of my photos is Albermarle sealing station, on the southern tip of West Falkland. I took these photos in 1997 while stationed at 751SU Mount Alice. I don't know if there was any motive power other than human.

Thanks for your interest, Ian

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian

So we were right about the Falklands but looking on a map, Albemarle is about as far away from Stanley as you can get.

Did a 'Google' search on 751SU Mount Alice and got a link to a facebook site with a stack of photos - looks like a hell of place :D

Mike

Hi Mike,

Mt Alice certainly was one hell of a place. We lived in ISO containers for four months and there were only three windows on the whole site. Our only connection with the outside world were the Helicopters!! Good Times. Incidently I did a google search myself and I am in at least one of the photos on that facebook site. Might even join it myself.

Cheers for now, Ian

Archived