ESU ECoS not programming accessory decoder

The Black Hat

Hello all,

My ECoS is not programming an accessory decoder I have. I wired the lot up with a point motor as a test bed and wanted to change the decoder so that it read as 17-20. I had the wires all done, pressed the button on the ESU accessory decoder and selected a point. The point registered, on the accessory decoder. Then I tried and it still fired when pressing point one.

I tried another decoder and sure enough it worked fine.

Any advice on why one is not working and the other one is would be great.

Thanks in advance...

• RMweb Gold

Are both accessory decoders the same type?

Is there something you have to do to put the accessory decoder into learn mode?

Although if you have followed identical steps (you have, haven't you?) with identical decoders it suggests that one is faulty.

You have not told us the most important piece of information - The make and model of the accessory decoder.

When trying to program an accessory decoder, especially those with a "learn" facility, you follow the instruction that came with the accessory decoder, not the instructions that came with the ECoS.

• RMweb Gold

If you have two identical accessory decoders and one works and the other doesn't it would suggest to me that one is faulty. I am assuming all the wiring stayed the same and you just replaced the decoder. Have you tried the original one again?

Connect it to the programming track output of your ECoS as shown in figure 10 on page 17 of the SP V2 manual, don't forget there needs to be a load across Out A and C on port 1. On the DCC programming menu, write the value 5 to CV1, and read it back to make sure it is 5. Read CV9 and if it is not Zero, change it to Zero.

Port 1 should now respond to commands for Point 17, port 2 to Point 18 etc.

Thanks. Thats been super!! Got it all sorted now. Shame it did not just set when I selected a point as per instruction manual, but that way to programme you would have thought would be what is described. In any case, got them both working now.

So, will be crawling about under it tomorrow! Oh what fun!

Thanks again.

Archived