NCE USB interface/NCE SB3a booster & JMRI wifi Throttle

DIRTY DIESEL

Hi all,

Hope this is in the correct place.

Recently I’ve decided to try and run my layout though JMRI wifi throttle using either an i pad or phone.

At the moment my layout is set up using the NCE SB3a power booster with three controllers.
I have also set up a separate programme track so I can use my Power Cab if I need to read back CVs.

On my programme track I’ve successfully set up JMRI to programme locos etc via lap top & NCE USB (version 6) interface, plus I've managed to get JMRI wifi throttle to work with my i pad & phone.

As my programme track is only a loco length I’m trying to run the whole layout via JMRI wifi throttle using SB3a booster & USB interface.
I’ve had limited success as DS locos don’t seem work properly using i pad/phone or JMRI, if I start a loco up on F1 then move off sound will cut out but loco will still move correctly speed step wise,
Also turn the lights on and sound comes on for a split second. I’ve tried about half a dozen DS locos and they all do the same but soon as the sound is turn off everything is normal. I can even have a DS loco being controlled by the Power Cab and work perfect sitting on the same track.

I’ve read this very good write up here

https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/nce-info/nce-usb-limitations/nce-v6-usb-adapter and tried all the options here without success.

I’m wondering weather or not to upgrade to version 7 USB interface?

Any help would be great as I’ve nearly got it to work.

Thanks

Stu.

Do you get the same results using an on-screen throttle in JMRI rather than the withrottle?

Your mention of F keys makes me wonder of there's a difference between the soft throttles and the NCE hardware throttles with respect to latching/non-latching behaviour of the F keys. You can change this on a JMRI throttekl and i would expect to be able to change it on a withrottle.

What's DS loco?

Andrew

Do you get the same results using an on-screen throttle in JMRI rather than the withrottle?

Your mention of F keys makes me wonder of there's a difference between the soft throttles and the NCE hardware throttles with respect to latching/non-latching behaviour of the F keys. You can change this on a JMRI throttekl and i would expect to be able to change it on a withrottle.

What's DS loco?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply, sorry DS loco means Digital Sound loco.

From memory if I use JMRI's own throttle it's the same, F1 (sound start) starts up okay until I move off then sound cuts out.

I did try running crocodile clips(hard wire) from my programme track to my layout with the SB3a disconnected to see if there was something on my layout which might be causing a problem. But JMRI wifi throttle/I pad/phone & lap top all worked perfectly when connected to Power Cab (basic configuration).

Not been in loft today so will double check tomorrow as I'm on nights tonight.

Thanks

Stu

Archived