First steps in constructing my own pointwork

blueeighties

The preamble......

I have dabbled with constructing pointwork in the past, but my efforts never really amounted to much. Now that (as a lot of you will know), my dayjob consists of working with model railway stock of allsorts, I thought it was time to reinvestigate subject of trackbuilding once more.

The last time I constructed a layout, it was quite large, and I struggled with constructing pointwork so much that I decided to go with the compromise of Peco code 75 pointwork, and Exactoscale trackbases for the plain rail. The Exactoscale was chosen because it matches the Pecos sleeper/rail height exactly. Now things have moved on a bit, that layout is no more, and another project is developing. The only trackwork I have truly been impressed with from a prototypical looks point of view with is stuff built with C and L components.

As luck would have it, a customer paid me in C and L point kits for a job he asked me to do. and here we are! I make no apologies for using the kits, the last time I tried this I just could not build an acceptable standard working common crossing, that may come later, but for now all I want to do is to build and finish a simple kit to a decent running standard.

I have decided to go with the 00SF standard, after speaking to a couple of authorities on the subject, namely Mr Wynne of Templot fame, and Mr Hayfied who frequently offers excellent advice on all things track related.

The appropriate gauges have been ordered from Pete at C and L, once I have them I will start construction of a B6 and see where we end up with it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been a while, but I have finally had a dabble with some pointwork. I built a B6 to 00-SF standard, and am quite chuffed that wheels and bogies seem to pass through it as they should. The common crossing and switchblades were pre machined by C and L, I have tried making them before and it just ended as a very frustrating exercise. I may try again when I have gained a bit more confidence, but I'm more than happy with the progress so far.

My next attempt has been with a long stored 3 way that I have always fancied doing, it's a wonderful thing to look at! I have made a few minor errors along the way so far, the worst being getting the common crossings moxed up, and cutting them too short. You can see in the picture where I have added a small extension using the C and L plastic rail joiners, again everything seems to run as it should during testing so I'm pretty pleased with progress. The B6 was built using a Templot turnout, I know it's more accurate, but the pre built C and L crossings didn't quite sit with the sleepering properly, so for the 3 way I have just stuck with the C and L template. 

17176173297_5ee6d93276_o.jpg032 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

17357677236_8ccdf6af58_o.jpg033 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

17196060490_dea92d718a_o.jpg035 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

17195825768_b2d9d55a3e_o.jpg037 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

Archived