Ground signals as turnout position indicators

shortliner

I picked up from Hongkong supplier (We Honest) on ebay (4 days delivery from the Far East - incredible!) some two-colour HO ground signals - they are LEDs with resistors fitted - 3 wires - black with the resistor is common positive the other two are red and green (as per the LEDs. I will be using them with manually moved, PECO (probably electrfrog) points What is the easiest and most sensible way to wire them to indicate turnout position - green for through road, red for diverging. NB Power for the LEDs can be delivered from a separate source if necessary, like a 9v battery as this is for a switching (shunting) layout

Help will be much appreciated - my mind has gone blank!

I've always used 2 x bi-colour red/green leds to indicate turnout position on a mimic panel (echoed on track at the turnout), set by rough old PL-13 switches at the turnout.

Leds only change if the point changes, so fairly fool-proof.

If point is set to straight ahead right of way.

Led 1 is green for straight route and led 2 is red against the diverge route.

Switch the point to diverge has right of way and

LED 1 is red against the straight route and led 2 is green for the diverge route.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

How about one of those small DPDT slide switches? Drill a small hole cross-ways through the switch "handle" for a length of piano wire to move the point. Use one pole of the switch for the frog, and the other pole for the signal.

I did this on my Bakers Yard layout (without the signal), the switches were inside the Portacabin. In the photo below, the piano wire is hidden below strips of white styrene, glued onto the white foam board base.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-90087600-1424430274_thumb.jpg

Archived