2ft gauge at Shoeburyness

Del

Whilst taking a stroll along the East Beach at Shoeburyness (having gone there to have a look at the Maunsell Forts on the horizon), I noticed some 2ft gauge track and points in the roadway.

All I can find online is one reference which suggests it was laid to supply a barrage balloon factory. Does anyone know any more?

There are some sketched details and a loco list in "Industrial Locomotives of Essex" (IRS), the MoD site at Shoeburyness had standard, 2ft 6in and 2ft gauge sections.  Two of the 2ft gauge Rustons later went to the Ministry of Public Works tramway (within the MoD complex).  The book references issues 128, 153, 155 and 160 of Industrial Railway Record (which I haven't had time to look up), the June 1955 issue of Railway Observer (RCTS) as well as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guns-Gunners-Shoeburyness-Experimental-Establishment/dp/0860236609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422398697&sr=8-1&keywords=guns+gunners+tony+hill (which at those prices I won't be buying!).

Further to the above, the article in Industrial Railway Record 128 provides the best overview (and map) of the lines around Shoeburyness.  The (standard gauge) Military Tramway is not described in detail; instead reference is made to an article in the April 1959 edition of Railway Magazine (which inludes a further map).

Archived