Heljan 7mm RTR Loco's/JTLRT Kits

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Im toying with the idea of removing one of the motors from my HJ 33 and powering a JLTRT 25 kit with it

Is this a feasible idea?

New to all this O Gauge malarkey so excuse my ignorance!

I did remove one of the motors from my '35 to reduce the current draw and use a lower rated chip. It had plenty of power for 6 or 7 coach trains and would run all day without any great problem, I put it back when I had a Loksound 3.5 re-blown to suit. I would, however make a couple of observations:-

A Heljan motor isn't the most sophisticated piece of kit, they are available as spares for £29.50, that says a lot.You don't say if you intend to swap an entire bogie with the '26, this would be the best option, to just use the motor would involve quite a lot of engineering to get the gears etc. to work properly.

If you do take the motor out of a Heljan bogie don't do as I did, leave the gears in. I discovered after several months that when it was running the gears locked up the unpowered wheels, there's that much power in the other bogie that you don't notice. -  Result you will end up with wheels shaped like thre'penny bits and very clean track!

Guest 40-something

Hi Joe, I don't see why you couldn't do it, are the locos pulling much stock ? I am sure there will one or two of the regulars on here who have already done something along those lines

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Craig

My layout will just be a 16ft end to end so the stock being pulled/pushed will be minimal - prob max 10 swb wagons so I do reckon just one more will suffice

I did remove one of the motors from my '35 to reduce the current draw and use a lower rated chip. It had plenty of power for 6 or 7 coach trains and would run all day without any great problem, I put it back when I had a Loksound 3.5 re-blown to suit. I would, however make a couple of observations:-

A Heljan motor isn't the most sophisticated piece of kit, they are available as spares for £29.50, that says a lot.You don't say if you intend to swap an entire bogie with the '26, this would be the best option, to just use the motor would involve quite a lot of engineering to get the gears etc. to work properly.

If you do take the motor out of a Heljan bogie don't do as I did, leave the gears in. I discovered after several months that when it was running the gears locked up the unpowered wheels, there's that much power in the other bogie that you don't notice. -  Result you will end up with wheels shaped like thre'penny bits and very clean track!

Take a motor out to reduce the current draw is the main reason Im thinking this, and putting the motor to use elsewhere.  Its a 25 Im planning on powering, the bogie wheelbase is different so Im thinking of just using the motor from the 33 with a commercially available gearbox to power the 25.

Thanks for the tip re the gears though!

Guest 40-something

I would use a Mashima motor & a nice gearbox for the 25 myself

Phill   :)

Thanks for your input Phil, Im trying to keep costs down, hence looking to re-use the motor

Archived