60009 Union Of South Africa - Nameplate colours

WhiteRoseRambler

I am looking to get a model of UoSA and note that of the two I have seen one (Hornby) has red nameplates and one (Bachmann) has black. I have scoured Flickr and Google and have found photos of the loco with both colour plates over a wide time period but I am looking for confirmation of what colour plates it had in the early to mid 80s.

I see it was called Osprey during a period of political correctness in the 80s but am certain it was used on the Scarborough Spa Express in about 1985? where it was named Union of South Africa.

Any help, gratefully received.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm pretty sure UoSA carried red nameplates during the period you are modelling. It certainly carried red ones in the late 70s/early 80s and was then fitted with Osprey nameplates. I think it may have carried black plates earlier in the 70s and during at least some of its BR service.

As I understand it, it was renamed Osprey in the 80s to protect the loco from harm during the period of anti-apartheid protests (i.e. human rights rather than political correctness) in the second half of the 80s/early 90s. Whether the views of the owner John Cameron on apartheid had any bearing I don't know. It carried the name Osprey until the early 90s.

I'm sure someone on here will be able to provide you with the details but I'm pretty sure red nameplates are what you need.

See

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/20600-new-Hornby-r2909-a4-60009-union-of-south-africa/

There are a couple of shots of her on the Lochty Private Railway with black plates which would have been taken earlier in the 70s.

Here is a very poor quality photo I took of her taken at Kinghorn in the late 70s with red plates. I think she carried these plates until renaming but I'm not absolutely sure..

post-7247-0-58512100-1423062489_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps.

Dave

• 11 months later...

Apologies but I'm a bit late into this thread. Pete Westwater and myself are responsible for Union of South Africa having red nameplates. Number 9 was bought from BR by John Cameron and throughout it's time at Lochty it had black plates. When it returned to the main line it was kept at Kirkcaldy for a year and then moved to Markinch. At this point I became involved with Lochty and No 9.

In our regular Friday night meetings at Pete's house the subject came up of loco nameplate colours. After a long discussion we decided to approach John Cameron with the idea of painting the nameplates red. No. 9 was always a Scottish engine (which all had blue nameplates, Kings Cross engines that had red plates) so we thought we'd better run it past him! Cameron agreed to us painting the plates without any persuasion... hmmm.

Before a railtour weekend the loco was always prepared and coaled during the day on the Friday and then kept in steam overnight before the railtour next day. I was regularly at Markinch overnight on the "nightshift" so we started painting the plates red on the Friday evening. This was sometime around May 1974. It wasn't easy to cover black with red and from memory it took three good coats to cover the black, I did the last coat on the plates about 4am as the sun came up before we prepared the loco for the BR crew arriving.

I assume Cameron liked it because the nameplates have remained red ever since as far as I've seen.

It was also me that painted the Markinch on the front bufferbeam - don't think John (Cameron) liked this too much - it wasn't too long before it was back to Haymarket...

pretty sure this photo was taken just after I finished painting the nameplates....

post-24472-0-12353300-1453848384_thumb.jpg

Archived