Dukedogs in Bristol area.

Keith George

This kind of question always reminds me of the Monty Python Sketch which had the line (adopting a surprised tone of voice) - "A tiger in Africa", so paraphrasing " A dukedog in Bristol!"

Sorry not a very helpful answer to your question but made me smile :D

9011/23 were Swindon engines. I remember seeing some of the 9000 class at Laira in the 50's after coming down on the Fish. Did they come via Bristol?

There is a picture of 9011 at St. Phillips Marsh shed on19/08/1951 in Loco Illustrated no 66 on page 24.

There is a picture of 9008 at Bath Road shed on page 34 in GW steam south of the Severn.

Hopes this helps place them in the Bristol area.

I remember them at LA.  In my youth, I once thought they were Bulldogs with tall funnels as they were somewhat similar to my young eyes.  I did eventually get to know the differences!  Rarish cops!

Brian

Another old Sutt.

Hello Keith,

I've just found these 2 photos:

9016 arriving at TM with a train from Weston on 4 April 1953 (with 82A in the background). It's in 'Images of Bristol, Somerset, & Dorset Rlys - photos from the Maurice Dart Collection' published by Halsgrove (whoever they are!) in 2008. Actually the photo is credited to the R K Blencowe collection. The caption to it says: 'A surprise occurred early in 1953 when a few Dukedogs were  transferred from the Central Wales Division to Bath Road Shed. Their stay lasted around 18 months'

9023 approaching Patchway with coal from South Wales in 1954. This is taken from the overbridge at the top of the incline. Only 6 wagons are visible. This photo by Rex Coffin appeared in the Bristol Evening Post some time in the early 1970s. Coffin is of course the author of 'Steam Around Bristol' (OPC,1974) & for a time did have a regular slot in the BEP with the title 'Giants of Steam' - which is stretching it a bit I think in this case! (His name doesn't crop up much nowadays but I seem to remember being told he'd changed it by deed-poll!)

HTH

Martin

Hello Keith,

I've just found these 2 photos:

9016 arriving at TM with a train from Weston on 4 April 1953 (with 82A in the background). It's in 'Images of Bristol, Somerset, & Dorset Rlys - photos from the Maurice Dart Collection' published by Halsgrove (whoever they are!) in 2008. Actually the photo is credited to the R K Blencowe collection. The caption to it says: 'A surprise occurred early in 1953 when a few Dukedogs were  transferred from the Central Wales Division to Bath Road Shed. Their stay lasted around 18 months'

9023 approaching Patchway with coal from South Wales in 1954. This is taken from the overbridge at the top of the incline. Only 6 wagons are visible. This photo by Rex Coffin appeared in the Bristol Evening Post some time in the early 1970s. Coffin is of course the author of 'Steam Around Bristol' (OPC,1974) & for a time did have a regular slot in the BEP with the title 'Giants of Steam' - which is stretching it a bit I think in this case! (His name doesn't crop up much nowadays but I seem to remember being told he'd changed it by deed-poll!)

HTH

Martin

Thanks very much for that great information.

That is a Maurice Dart book I have not got,  I am going to start looking for it.!

Regards,  Keith.

Archived