Audi orders hybrid shunting locomotives

DavidB-AU

Audi has awarded Alstom a contract to supply two H3 hybrid locomotives for shunting operations at its Ingolstadt automotive plant in Bavaria.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/locomotives/audi-orders-hybrid-shunting-locomotives.html

IMHO this is the sort of unit that should be considered to replace the remaining 08s.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Gold

Would they still do so when accounting for fuel costs and the environmental burden for a prolonged period?

Probably. I don't know what the fuel consumption of an 08 is but it isn't much and with the amount of use most of them get nowadays they are going to last a long time if looked after properly.  It would take a brave, and wealthy, man to replace a cheap asset like that with something that is much bigger and costs real money to both buy and maintain. 

And in any event I doubt if very many 08s have the engine running for long enough to recharge the battery power of a hybrid.

Remembering that the purchaser is an industrial railway, I don't see any reason why some industrial railways in this country might consider purchasing similar locomotives. For starters, far from all industrial concerns in the UK use "clapped out 08s" and I'm sure that most businesses constantly review operating costs and effects of environmental legislation.

UK companies understand economic realities and aren't nearly as backward as has been suggested.

I wonder if the shunter drivers will be like Audi Car Drivers, driving too fast and doing what they want as they think they own the road......

Oh, so I'm not the only person to have noticed that. Something to do with "Brand" image attracting a particular sort of person perhaps.

Which also helps explain why they have chosen a hybrid loco, to support their high tech image.

Remembering that the purchaser is an industrial railway, I don't see any reason why some industrial railways in this country might consider purchasing similar locomotives. For starters, far from all industrial concerns in the UK use "clapped out 08s" and I'm sure that most businesses constantly review operating costs and effects of environmental legislation.

UK companies understand economic realities and aren't nearly as backward as has been suggested.

From experience (Railfreight Contract Manager) when rail based equipment is due to be replaced, the usual response is to try and pull out of rail operations.

Mike

The fact that shiny new class 68s are running around suggests that not everybody is welded to clapped out second hand equipment. It would only take one innovative ROSCO to dip their toe in the water to see if the concept will fly. If you read the full article, DBAG is going to be testing 5 of them at Würzburg and Nürnberg. I have no doubt DBS will be interested in the outcome.

The fact the Alstom H3 can also do 100km/h would make them more useful than the 08 too. It means that, for example, the Penzance shunter could do a 60mph dash up to St Blazey and back once a week instead of wasting a 66 on 5 small tanks of fuel.

Cheers

David

The fact the Alstom H3 can also do 100km/h would make them more useful than the 08 too. It means that, for example, the Penzance shunter could do a 60mph dash up to St Blazey and back once a week instead of wasting a 66 on 5 small tanks of fuel.

Cheers

David

Alternatively,we could do Wallingford to Cholsey in 2 1/2 minutes....

Don't think Santa would be able to give out the presents that quickly though!

Reminds me of the story of the very short man who applied for a job at an Audi garage.

"OK," says the manager. "Bill's got a Quattro up on the hydraulic platform. You can work with him and see how you get on."

Only trouble was, Bill was 6'6" meaning that when the platform was at a comfortable working height for him, the short guy couldn't reach, and when it was lowered, Bill couldn't get under it.

The short guy has an idea. "Put the platform back at the height you had it," he says and wanders off into the storeroom.

He comes back a few minutes later with two shock absorbers strapped to his left foot and two to his right foot. By bouncing up and down,he's able to work on the car, despite it being way above his head.

"That's amazing!" says the manager. "How did you think of that?"

"Easy," replies the short man. "It's the four sprung dwarf technique...." 

Interesting Wheel Arrangement, would that be a Bo-A or  B-A??

If the latter, I pity the fool...

I still struggle with this idea that a hybrid  loco uses less fuel than a conventional one. Where does the power come from to charge the batteries? In any conversion from one power system to another (e.g. charging a battery) there is some energy loss usually in the form of heat.

If the batteries are charged from an external source (i.e. a power station somewhere), then there is still energy consumption, pollution, etc. Running on the batteries will result in zero pollution at that time, but not when the energy  to charge them is being produced.

Or is the claimed saving in fuel simply down to much more modern diesel engine technology, perhaps aided by "battery charging" when the loco is not in service?

Orders like this result not just from the need of new locos but from official subsidies for alternatively powered ("environmental friendly") locomotives (as well as lorries, private cars, ...) by the German state as well.

Felix

Archived