Bachmann Irish Set With Full Third Coach - fact or fiction?

I have several examples of the LMS panelled coaches that were in the Mainline range as 37-111 composite and 37-112 brake third, together with the Bachmann reissues 34-300 composite and 34-275 brake.

Some people have cut and shut these to make a full third to add variety. Searching for inspiration about how to best do the conversion, I found this page:

Bachmann Ex-LMS Departmental Staff Coach (34-253)

By Pat Hammond

http://www.mremag.com/news/article/Bachmann-ex-lms-departmental-staff-coach-34-253/15863

To quote from this page it says, "While the LMS panelled coaches were originally tooled for the Mainline range in 1977, the all-3rd corridor coach was not one of them.  It was tooled specially for the Irish and American markets and this is the first time it has appeared in the British range.   The model carries the number KD M 295776".

A repaint of one of these would save time but comparing my Mainline/ Bachmann red and cream composite models with Bachmann pictures of the new Departmental Staff Coach, it seems to me that all use the composite moulding.

Further searches revealed this Antics page for the 5-coach Irish set:

Http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1413_1_17513.html

Picture does not show both sides of all coaches in the set.

As picture is a bit dark a lightened copy is here...

post-13188-0-98021300-1423233310_thumb.jpg

Comparing the previous red and cream coaches with the new Departmental Staff Coach, it seems to me that the Departmental Coach uses the composite moulding. So, where is evidence of an all-Third coach moulding as opposed to a composite moulding painted to look like a third?

I am totally confused by this mention of an actual all-third model. Does anyone know of evidence to show a full third MOULDING in this range?

(As I write this I wonder if this all-third ever existed and is being confused with the proposed Airfix open third that did not materialise as such but later came out in revised form produced by Kader {Bachmann} for the Replica range).

Thanks in advance.

Archived