Diagram V12 Mink Van - End Shutters?

Hello there. I've been building a Parkside 4mm scale Mink kit, as the fitted version of diagram V12 - the one with the end louvres and shutters. The instructions merely state "These can be fully up covering the louvres or dropped down to the foot of the end or even partially covering the louvres." A quick Google hasn't been able to return any pictures to answer my question, which is this:

Would the end shutters have all been open, all closed or all partially open, and if partially open would they all have been at the same height? I like the idea of the shutters all being at different heights (say, one fully open, one fully closed and two in-between) but would this be prototypical? Would it just depend on the diligence of whoever is loading the vehicle? If it helps, the model will be finished in BR Bauxite.

Many thanks,

skinnylinny

Hello there. I've been building a Parkside 4mm scale Mink kit, as the fitted version of diagram V12 - the one with the end louvres and shutters. The instructions merely state "These can be fully up covering the louvres or dropped down to the foot of the end or even partially covering the louvres." A quick Google hasn't been able to return any pictures to answer my question, which is this:

Would the end shutters have all been open, all closed or all partially open, and if partially open would they all have been at the same height? I like the idea of the shutters all being at different heights (say, one fully open, one fully closed and two in-between) but would this be prototypical? Would it just depend on the diligence of whoever is loading the vehicle? If it helps, the model will be finished in BR Bauxite.

Many thanks,

skinnylinny

Skinnylinny,

I have never seen a photo of a V12 or V14 in BR days still fitted with louvres. There was a pretty comprehensive rebuilding program through the 1920s and 30's. Thats not saying it didn't happen but the lack of photos of anything still with ventilated ends suggests that by the post war period they were extremely rare. The photos from GWR days that I have seen have the vents in all sorts of positions so if you choose to go down that path it seems that most things go. I have seen photos with one open, one closed, both partially open and both closed.

Regards,

Craigw

Skinnylinny,

I have never seen a photo of a V12 or V14 in BR days still fitted with louvres. There was a pretty comprehensive rebuilding program through the 1920s and 30's. Thats not saying it didn't happen but the lack of photos of anything still with ventilated ends suggests that by the post war period they were extremely rare. The photos from GWR days that I have seen have the vents in all sorts of positions so if you choose to go down that path it seems that most things go. I have seen photos with one open, one closed, both partially open and both closed.

Regards,

Craigw

Thank you for your reply. That's a bit of a pain, as I've already built and primed the body! When reading the (usually fairly useful) instructions, I didn't see any mention of a rebuilding program, so thought something with the louvres would be interestingly different... Ah well, looks like this one will end up in GWR grey and get sold on eBay or down at the model railway club. 

The GWR stopped building vans with the flat X-bracing on the ends in 1911. From 1912 the later style of ends with angle bracing was introduced and this precluded fitting the louvre ventilators in the two outer panels. They were replaced by single, and later, double bonnet vents. Thereafter, whenever an old X-braced van needed major repairs, their ends were replaced by the later style. Maybe some lasted into BR days though I don't recall seeing any. However, there are a few photos of cattle wagons showing the old X-bracing in early BR days, so it is possible that some vans also survived but I think it more likely that they would have had their louvres replaced by a single bonnet.

Nick

Bauxite was applied to fitted vehicles irrespective of wheelbase. They would not have received 'XP' branding however as this was only on wheelbase of 10 foot or more.

The louvre shutters would have been open or closed according to necessity. I doubt that railway staff would be bothered to ensure they were all at the same level.

Archived