Bachmann Brassworks class 03

GW Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hello.

I own a Brassworks cl 03, DC, that has suffered a burnt out motor due to someone at a recent local meet moving it from the DC to the DCC test tracks.

I have sourced a replace motor with a lot of help from John at Fine Scale Brass. I now have the issue of trying to work out how this is done!!!

Is there any member who has carried out this operation and would know how it Should be done. I know one could mess up the quartering and other mad & bad things so advice would be most welcome. Or should I save up and buy a replacement loco putting the old one in my spares box???!!

Forever hopeful.

James

Guest 40-something

I havent done this myself but having remotored steam loco's in 4mm there should be no reason to lose the quartering, the only way that would happen was if you were to remove the connecting rods on both sides of the wheels

If it is like to 04 there is no need to touch the quartering.

Take off the body, if the motor is an 1833 can one, it should be held by two screws. Unsolder the two wires to the motor first, then remove the two screws holding the motor, now you just have to remove the worm off the old motor and put on to the new motor, if you are lucky it is held by a grub screw. Solder on the wires and fix motor back with the two screws. Put the body back on.

Martin

If it is like to 04 there is no need to touch the quartering.

Take off the body, if the motor is an 1833 can one, it should be held by two screws. Unsolder the two wires to the motor first, then remove the two screws holding the motor, now you just have to remove the worm off the old motor and put on to the new motor, if you are lucky it is held by a grub screw. Solder on the wires and fix motor back with the two screws. Put the body back on.

Martin

As I have owned both the 03 and 04 models I can confirm that the chassis are identical. My 04 (the one I still have) had faulty quartering which made it a poor runner but some careful adjustment of the wheels (they are only pushed on - no squared axle ends) cured its problems. if you do the work on yours be careful not to disturb the wheels! I doubt that you will be able to replace the 03 easily - they have been sold out for quite a while. In any case it would be a shame to put in the spares bin if it can be resurrected!

• RMweb Premium

Hello and thanks for your input.

Am I missing some thing here? I have the chassis, without its body in front of me and can clearly see now the motor is secured to the gearbox using the two screws as suggested above. The top one can be accessed without trouble however the lower one is hidden behind the gears in the box and cannot be seen. Is this what they are all like or do I have an oddball one?

Both motors have push-on worms. Shames really, I was considering sound chipping this loco along with my class 08. Even more unsure of where I go from here!!!

Many thanks.

James 

James

if my memory serves me right the gears are in a stack and the gear shafts are help on by cir clips

remove the clip pull the shaft remove the top gear and you should get at the bottom screw

if it is  a newer gear box same procedure undo screws ease sides apart remove gears etc etc

All is not lost if you don't  fancy this Stuart at Modelyard in Leeds has done a few I am sure he can help you 

John 

FSB

Archived