Sacrilege On Hallowed Track. (a fairy tale)

Dubloduke

Once upon a time on a peaceful Sunday afternoon, two engines, a green Hornby Dublo 0-6-2 and a black 0-6-2 were relaxing and having a natter. Sundays were normally very quiet days on the layout and a time for rest.

Suddenly the green engine stopped talking mid sentence and his eyes became locked on to a moving engine on the far side of the layout. "What on earth is that thing?" he asked. The black engine had a good look, but to no avail, he did not have a clue. Within a few minutes the layout was a buzz of rumour and conjecture until the Bo-Bo said with authority, "That is an AIRFIX 4F, who allowed that imposter on to a Dublo layout? Every one knows that 3 rail track is far to good for Airfix. It has to be removed and quickly."

Well, time went by and the situation became bad, One A4 refused to run on time, another just sulked and the mighty Castle was reduced to tears. Things had to change, the controller (me, and I`m not fat!) had to step in. After a good stern talking to, things are slowly returning to normal.

Time for a beer.

post-25034-0-32575500-1423342205_thumb.jpg

post-25034-0-84692400-1423342254_thumb.jpg

post-25034-0-65939200-1423342274_thumb.jpg

Richard.

And is it plastic asked a distraught cast castle?!

Ha ha, the poor Castle is having a hard time, much harder than plastic and the tears are of molten steel. The Bo-Bo knows the wire insulation and the insulators around the pick up plungers on Castle are - plastic - perish the thought.

I am just hoping Bo-Bo does not tell the 4F this.  Castle would die of shame.

Richard.

The plunger insulation is card on mine. The same stuff that insulates the brush tubes and armature windings (early models - later are plastic) and was sold as insulating tabs (though post card will do :secret: ). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_insulation_paper.

I must plead guilty to the same sin. I have several Tri-ang locos converted to 3 rail and a Lima 'Western'. Märklin, Gaiety, Trix and Formo locos have also put in an appearance, though these are OK as they were 3 rail to start with.

Richard

One of my Tri-ang locos is a B12. She performs very well, despite the pickup being made from a piece of phosphor bronze strip mounted under the tender. An L1 done the same way is just as successful. Couplings are by Peco. They are both very fast runners though, due to being too high geared. A Tri-ang DMU has a Märklin skate fitted to the unpowered bogie.

Regards,

David

Archived