Suitable fonts for Industrial loco "Signwriting"- Word, downloads?

Hi all,

I'm going to get some custom transfers made up for my Ixion Manning Wardle- as a bit of a change from the normal cast nameplate on the I'd like the company name. There are a few suitable "plain" fonts in Word that would do, but what I'd really like is a proper signwritten style with a shadow as the examples below:

Lady Nan

AB 1931

Clydesmill No. 3

Or even something a bit simpler, as used by the NCB:

Netherton No. 50

West Ayr No. 24

Apologies for the links instead of photos, I don't want to breach copyright.

Any suggestions gratefully received- I have had a play in Powerpoint and Word with limited success, I would really like the shadow if possible. Happy to pay to download a font if it's a good 'un! I'm sure the fleet will expand in the future so I'll need to do more locos at some point.

Cheers :)

Matt

Matt,

I've done something similar, in 4mm, here;

post-6861-0-13611400-1423409786_thumb.jpg

Yellow with a black drop shadow. I did the artwork and they were made up by John Peck at Presion Transfers.

At John's recommendation I used Serif PagePlus, a desktop publishing package. I'd have to check what the font was, I just wanted something traditional looking with a serif.

The software allowed me to add the drop shadow.

I basically had to submit three pages of artwork, one for the black drop shadow and, because yellow is translucent, three (white,magenta and yellow) to get the rich yellow I wanted.

If you want any more info. just ask.

In what period are you setting it? Though I suppose most people wouldn't notice it's very easy to use a font that hadn't been designed yet. There was an article about signwriters' fonts in MRC many years ago which I think I've still got somewhere so will try to dig out. A very small company might have left it up to a signwriter but a more substantial one would likely have had some kind of corporate style for their own name if nothing else. 

Cheers for the suggestions folks.

It's set in the early 60's, it's a fairly small concern ("Ruston" Dave's 'Bury Thorn & Sons' layout).

I should add- I'd want to be able to change the colour of the shadow as well as the text, as the loco is black I'd like red and cream/ yellow.

Arthur's Sentinel is very similar to what I had in mind- I'll have a look at Serif PagePlus.

Thanks all!

• RMweb Premium

In the past if I've wanted to print a drop shaded font then I've selected an ordinary font in the shading colour and typed out the sign. Then I copy and paste and change the colour to that require for the lettering itself, then I overlay the re-colored copy a little off set over the drop shade coloured lettering. Not perfect but quite acceptable in most cases. Here's a sign where I added highlights in a similar manner.

ganllwyd%2520tram%2520sign.jpg

That's very cunning Neil, thanks- I think I can make that work :sungum:

David, I have actually been looking at lorries- but they are normally a more "artistic" style than generally seen on steam locomotives- and unfortunately although there are some really nice examples it doesn't help in creating a virtual version. I do actually know a signwriter but I think he may be a bit bemused being asked to work in 7mm/ ft, instead of on the classic lorries he is used to. 

Archived