Devoran & Feock

westcountryman

Hi,

First time poster on this forum.

I recently visited my family who live in the Devoran / Feock area of the Restronguet Creek locality.

Whilst walking through Devoran village, I noticed lots of industrial railway history mentioned on information boards.

Further inspection showed old track plans of the line serving the port, now sadly extinct.

Sidings, ex-railway structures & line groundworks were in abundance.

There's a very interesting information board on Devoran village hall, formerly the engine shed.

I was wondering if anyone has ever modelled this line? It would make a wonderful subject.

Deep water quaysides, railway sidings, numerous buildings etc, plenty of atmosphere.

Food for thought maybe?

Cheers

Rob

• RMweb Premium

This would be the 4ft gauge Redruth and Chacewater Railway, which (as far as I'm aware) never went to either place!

I don't know a lot about it myself, although theres quite a bit online, there are other on this Forum with far greater knowledge.

Cheers,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

The "mainline" opened in 1826 and ran between Devoran (the port) and Wheal Butler.  The Redruth terminus, serving Pen-an-Drea was opened in 1827 and is situated near St Day Road.  The line ran from what was known as Wheal Butler Junction at the top of Lanner Hill, not far from the point where the "mainline" crossed the Tresavean branch.  A further extension from Devoran to Point was also opened in 1827, much of this is now utillised as the Old Tram Road.  At Tallack's Creek it's possible to see the old embankment at low tide, as here the road deviates from the railway.  A branch to Chacewater was planned, but never constructed.

Hi again,

Wow! Thanks guys.

It's great to see so much information on this lovely little branch.

Once again rmweb comes to the rescue.

All that's left is for me to convince the domestic management that another layout may be in the planning !

Thanks again  ( & well done Harry Kaine, quite some penalty against Wet Sham!)

Cheers

Rob

Getting models might be an issue, it will certainly will be fun laying rail on granite blocks instead of wooden sleepers! Actually, I'm pretty sure I admired a resin body kit for one of the locos on Dean Sidings stand at an exhibition a year or so ago. It was a prototype model then and not in production. Fortunately the line was well documented by Bradford Barton and several more recent sources, an on line search will throw up a lot of info.

Having spent a 50's/60's boyhood around the quays at Devoran (before they built those b**&*(% :no:houses blocking the river access ) it was surprising how much remained at that time. The engine shed was still standing, odd bits of track existed in the gorse bushes near the tannery on Greenbank Rd.and the railing up the lane past our place was old rail in part. The course of trackwork was easily traced because of the granite blocks and there were quite a few still in place the last time I was down that way.

It would certainly make a great model.

Ah, nostalgia, it's not what it used to be.

Steve W

Archived