Use of cinder ballast on secondary routes (historic)

Derekstuart

I am building a small test "plank". It has a 10 chain checked curve and it is built onto a cant of about 2mm (this is actually a bit too high, but it's for 'photographic affect' rather than running.

I was planning to use WS or Carrs cinder/ash ballast as this is what I will be using for the main layout and the more experience I can get of it to make it look right, the better.

HOWEVER, I cannot recall ever seeing a "steep" cant on cinder ballasted track. I did have a look at a location close to the layout I am designing, as it used to be cinders, but now is stone with a 6" (2mm) cant, however, I cannot remember whether there was a cant- or if so, how steep- before the track was re-laid with stone.

Does anyone have any opinions please?

Thanks
Derek

Do you mean ballast shoulder by "cant"? If yes then the answer is it varies in height but generally there was very little in the way of a shoulder. What you did get in the cess was finer ballast which was easier to walk on. Ash ballast was very variable depending on its source but generally the largest solids would be no larger than 40mm and there were a lot of fines. What to use for ash ballast is an important choice. Together with my fellow members of Cardiff 4mm Group, we have in past used real ballast which was crushed and sieved. From memory I think we used a 0.6mm sieve (I happen to have access to some Geotechnical sieves) but I guess a kitchen sieve would do. However, after several layouts, we decided that sieved real ash contained too much light coloured material so we added some darker proprietary ballast (can't remember whose). If you want to see real ash ballast, take a spade and visit and abandoned branch line. The darker ash ballast can be seen on our Ynysybwl layout of which there are various images on the web.

Hi John

I think perhaps I didn't make my question clear.

Scenario: Old NER branch line has ash 'ballast' along its length. Theres a 10 chain, checked curve- which of the following applies:

i) ash ballast can be used to support a cant as with stone ballast- cant up to 5.5 inches for a speed of 30 MPH as per BR engineering instructions

IIa) ash ballast cannot be used to support a cant of 5.5" and the track must be flat on the curve- as a result there's a 10 MPH speed limit.

IIb) ash ballast cannot be used to support a cant of 5.5" and therefore on this tight curve, aggregate ballast is used to support the cant.

I know that there is little or no shoulder of ballast on such a slow speed turn, as you would expect to find on a main line.

As for which ballast to use- the greenscenes or woodland scenics is still a little coarse for ash ballast. I quite like the carrs one, but it's too light and needs toning down. But it is really a question of prototype at the moment.

Thanks

Ash ballast was used on some running lines pre-war and was OK provided you could keep it dry, but it needed a lot more maintenance than stone ballast if there was much traffic.

Which is why it was usually restricted to sidings and very minor lines.

However it was sometimes used on busier lines where it was thought the weight of stone ballast would be bad for a weak embankment etc.

The particular line in question is the Esk Valley to Whitby.

Ash ballast survived there until the mid 90s... In fact there are some areas around Battersby where I think it still remains (but not for much longer).

But have you known ash to be used where there is a high cant- regardless of speed?

I can not think of anywhere I have seen high cant in ash ballast although I have seen a couple of inches in mixed ash and ballast. Ex LNER / ER lines are perhaps more likely, than the other companies as they did use more of alternative ballasts like ash and slag. Being the poorer company and having more track in areas with little local hard rock available.

• RMweb Premium

Not sue whether this helps or not, Derek,  The view looking south from Bridlington, taken in the course of my duties on 28.10.09.  Possibly the down line (to the right) in particular retains ash ballast, and a bit of a curve but not much cant in evidence (but then it would be a slow speed location in any case).

post-31-0-52757800-1423603423.jpg

Thank you Trog and 31A

I decided in the end just to go for WS medium grade grey ballast. It is, I think, a little coarse, but it contrasts well with the finer ash ballast used on the cess and (removed) adjacent running line.

I think that for the main layout I will have to use something finer, such as carrs 2mm ballast and the ash/cinders. But that's what a test plank is for I suppose.

Again, my thanks for your kind help.

Archived