Avonside

AMJ

According to this: http://www.nrm.org.uk/~/media/Files/NRM/PDF/archiveslists2012/businesses/Manufacturers%20records%20list%20photocopies.pdf the NRM has copies, the originals of which appear to reside at Armley Mills.  (That would appear to be right on the OP's doorstep!).

Certainly Hunslet acquired much of the property of Avonside in the 'thirties, and Statfold may indeed hold some of this material.

I'm probably getting confused with Fox Walker/Peckett, but I know that some local builders' records are in the custodianship of Bristol Harbour ("M Shed") - might be wortth trying if the other leads draw a blank.

The records of the preceding companies (Stothert & Slaughter, Slaughter Gruünning, etc.) are missing - believed either destroyed or removed to the USA and subsequently lost.  Various attempts have been made to recreate the builder's lists.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

So to carry the debate further for my own selfish means...  I have a kit for an Avonside B3 which will appear on a WW1 layout Tackeroo (Cannock Chase Military Railway).  The locomotive was delivered new to the line in 1916 as Longmoor took over operations.

Builders number 1742/1916  with a war department number of No.92

So I don't need drawings but would like to know what livery it would have been supplied in.  

Talking to Nigel   -  Avonside 1563 he feels that it could have been to a war department colour (the ROD locomotives on the western front were grey or black) or in a colour standard to Avonside.

So does anyone know if that level of detail exists.  

I suppose livery data relating to other war department locos at the same period may also be useful

Any idea anyone?

Andy

Archived