Aldersgate buildings 6 cold store warehouse

Here we go again...

Those of you familiar with Smithfield meat market in London will know this building which I love.

post-6781-0-98460300-1424548920.jpg

post-6781-0-96230600-1424548963.jpg

The eagle eyed will note that I have a four arch version.

Oh yes and like many in the RMWeb universe, I couldn't resist the Hornby J15!

post-6781-0-34921100-1424549052.jpg

Andrew

Very tasty! I'd like to see a 'howIdidit'...

Doug

Hi Doug,

Unfortunately I haven't been diligent enough to doc the stages but it's the same old stuff from me.

1. Non computer drawing (any tips out there for learning Adobe fast?)

2. Lots of photocopies stuck on random bits of card from stock, mostly cereal packets and also foam board for backing.

3. Cut out layers with a surgical blade.

4. Glue broad pieces with glue stick. skinny small parts with impact adhesive.

5. Be patient and  leave things to set under books ideally "Great Eastern Railway Engine Sheds" Vols 1 & 2

6. Compromise when things look too difficult since life is short.

Andrew

Here's a few hopefully informative shots (not that I can teach you anything!):

post-6781-0-82695900-1424635502.jpg

post-6781-0-91938400-1424635513.jpg

post-6781-0-16961400-1424635483.jpg

post-6781-0-99182300-1424635495.jpg

Hi Doug,

Unfortunately I haven't been diligent enough to doc the stages but it's the same old stuff from me.

1. Non computer drawing (any tips out there for learning Adobe fast?)

2. Lots of photocopies stuck on random bits of card from stock, mostly cereal packets and also foam board for backing.

3. Cut out layers with a surgical blade.

4. Glue broad pieces with glue stick. skinny small parts with impact adhesive.

5. Be patient and  leave things to set under books ideally "Great Eastern Railway Engine Sheds" Vols 1 & 2

6. Compromise when things look too difficult since life is short.

Andrew

Here's a few hopefully informative shots (not that I can teach you anything!):

attachicon.gifphoto 3-2.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 4-2.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 1-2.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 2-3.JPG

If you want to have a crack at learning Adobe Illustrator pretty quickly, come over the the Methodist Church MRC in Nayland Road on a Thursday night. I'm normally there by about 8.30 depending what the traffic is like getting out of Brum. If you've got any ideas for the next building for the layout, bring them along, and see if we can get it drawn up.

Thank you, George.

The line of 'bricks' in the freize-is that simply small short pieces of card? If so your spacing is exemplary. I take it the white and black banding that effectively shows the pale ashlar is that cunning highly technical device, a, a, pencil? I must get away from texture sheets for a bit, John Ahern had his 'Merco' brick papers but the majority of his work was card painted with poster paints.

Luckily I'm not in need of Adobe lessons [how nice of Charlie] as I'm clinging to the old Microsoft 'Photodraw' that shipped with pre-XP 'pooters. It still works on this 8.1 jobby, much to my relief!

Again, thanks,

Doug

The raised frame is just cut from card and lined up with the photocopied drawing printed out on stone paper underneath.  A little trick I found was; before it all sticks, lean a six inch ruler or similar against the raised part and press the card against its edge.  Voila, a perfect straight edge!

The banding is a 4h pencil drawn down hard on photocopied lines on paper stuck to 3mm foam board.  The board is glued on to bring the two wings forwards from the central section.  I am thinking if printing the striped sections out again on stone paper, cutting it into strips and applying them again to the front.

I had some of that Merco brick paper, you could buy it in Hamblings in Cecil Court near Leicester Sq in London.  I don't think it really looked like any brick I have ever seen but had a charm of it's own!

Andrew

Rather than try to match up paint against the colour of scale scenes' dressed stone, I have printed the original drawing out once again on the stone paper.  I am then cuting out the various panels and features and overlayering paper strips on the card relief.  viz:

post-6781-0-57382900-1425510113.jpg

post-6781-0-15135300-1425510127.jpg

Thanks for likes!

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on.  

Sorry about the green roof, it was the only piece of card which I could find in stock with the correct thickness and it will be buried under tiles in due course.

I am not going to bother with the dormer windows on the original which I think are a later addition in any case.  You will also see the the use of stone differs also from the original in that the two side piers in the model are of the same stone as the arches.  In the original the side piers match the central portion of the building; I just fancied doing it in a different way so I did!

I have been working within 100 meters of the building in London and it's a very peculiar feeling to see it in the flesh having spent so many intensive hours working on the model.

Andrew

post-6781-0-50992900-1426260606.jpg

post-6781-0-82406500-1426260618.jpg

Slightly off topic I once worked in the cold store offices in the mid 1960's. They were above the loading bays and somewhat cold! The PLA had a couple of cold stores around Smithfield market as well as the cold stores in Royal Albert Dock. Happy days!

Peter c

Slightly off topic I once worked in the cold store offices in the mid 1960's. They were above the loading bays and somewhat cold! The PLA had a couple of cold stores around Smithfield market as well as the cold stores in Royal Albert Dock. Happy days!

Peter c

Hi

If you find any photos on;one, please send me a link.

Andrew

Archived