How to moel millstone grit ?

Hi,

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to replicate millstone grit on model buildings?  I am keen to replicate a West Yorkshire scene with at least a few rows of terraced houses, perhaps a factory gable for a couple of L & Y locos to shunt around.  I'm sure I saw a description by the late Dave Shakespeare, but cannot find it in my archives.

Come on, can anyone help?  If not I will have to go to plan B which is on  the Lancashire side of the line with red brick, and that would result in excommunication from the Land of the White Rose.

Souwest

I would read Geoff Taylor's writings on MMRC's Dewsbury Midland buildings. He is the acknowledged master. (Do please ignore the inirial negative postings on this link!)

I also model West Riding buildings and I use all sorts of embossed plastic sheets for the stonework. In my view, Wills and Slaters are the most suitable. I also occasionally use expanded polystyrene, which can be bought in thin sheets from arts/craft shops (pizza bases are an alternative source), with stonework embossed using blunt instruments (e.g. pencils). I use this technique where normal coursed stone does not suffice, such as on the viaduct arches.

I usually paint the mortar colour first - a creamy mixture of yellow, white and black - followed by black for the dirty stone, dry-brushed on. Geoff uses blue but I have not tried that! Vary the shades and experiment. Remember that weathering is vertical so paint vertical streaks at the ends of window sills etc. Don't just splash randomly.

I use artists' acrylics - they are cheap, easily washed off with water and give a dense matt finish.

Good luck,

Ian

post-4908-0-05061200-1424780974.jpg

Archived