N gauge RTR (or kit suitable for novice modeller) log wagons

I'd like to add a fictitious log freight working from the local forest to my layout; however I'm having difficulty tracking down the type of log wagons that are used today (or in recent years) in the UK. Googling has turned up OTAs (4 wheel) and IGA (bogie) wagons but I can see some pictures of log workings (Colas hauled) that use bogie wagons with solid ends. These appear to be KSAs and there's an interesting thread on the OO/4mm scale versions.  I can see that the N Gauge Society has a kit version but fear the metal etchings and tiny parts may be beyond my modelling ability.

Does anyone know of a ready to run bogie log wagon in N gauge that's available please? Or a kit that's simple enough for someone who never progressed past Airfix kits as a kid? I may even consider overseas options (i.e. foreign wagons) if they will run on my UK loading gauge layout...

I think the N gauge society kits suit what you're looking for. Available only to members but I'd say worth the membership fee for access to the shop and the magazine.

Admittedly I've not paid attention to rolling stock that dates from after 1950 as I stop modelling when BR starts :P

I don't think you'll find a RTR model of any current UK timber wagons.

Current types in use are (links to pics attached):

KFA - these are converted from cargowaggon vans
http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/K-Tops-codes/KFA-GERS-timber-carriers/

KSA - conversions from former Rover "cube" wagons as per the NGS kit - looking at them on the NGS stand, even if you didn't feel able to do the etched brass bits then the plastic parts of the kit get you 90% there (look at the pic on their site in the grey undercoat, that doesn't have the etched bits on) - and these are unique wagons that you're unlikely to get a model of any other way! 
http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/K-Tops-codes/KSA-Cube-wagons/

IWA - based on cargowaggon "holdall vans" - note they have had modifications since these pics were taken, additional stantions etc.
http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/I/IWA-log-carriers/

The KSA is the only one with a specific model available, but the other two you might get something that looks kinda/sorta right by cutting up a Cargowaggon donor?

The IGA cargowaggon flats were used before the KSA and IWA conversions were done, and the OTA before that (when EWS operated the trains).
http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/I/IGA-Cargowaggon-flats/

I think the N gauge society kits suit what you're looking for. Available only to members but I'd say worth the membership fee for access to the shop and the magazine.

Thanks Black Sheep - I am an NGS member but I already have some kits on the go that will challenge me and the KSA ones look harder although Glorious NSE's comments give me some hope :-)

i know your preference is for bogie stock but i thought it worth mentioning that the OTA was produced by Chivers..it's a great little model and goes together easily.

Brilliant! We have some 1st radius curves (and trainset points in the fiddle yard) so long 4-wheeled wagons (like my VBAs) struggle a little but, even so, I might have a go with some OTAs, pulled by blue diesels... I'll hunt down some of those (now discontinued, I believe) Chivers kits and see how I get on.

Thanks for the tip :-)

KSA - conversions from former Rover "cube" wagons as per the NGS kit - looking at them on the NGS stand, even if you didn't feel able to do the etched brass bits then the plastic parts of the kit get you 90% there (look at the pic on their site in the grey undercoat, that doesn't have the etched bits on) - and these are unique wagons that you're unlikely to get a model of any other way! 

You give me hope Glorious NSE! Maybe I'll have a go at some KSAs for the modern running and OTAs as per previous comment to Peak Experience for 1980s blue.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Archived