Lima HST & Class 87 Motors

Crewlisle

I have a Lima HST & Class 87 where the original armatures have been replaced with Model Torque armatures. The pinions on the MT armatures are now just spinning on their shafts so they need replacing.

I have two sets of original Lima armatures & am thinking of fitting them into the HST & Class 87. They both have a diode(?) soldered across the two brush holders. Also, one of the armatures has what looks like a resistor soldered between each of the three pole windings on the back of the face of the armature. Questions:

1. To operate with my DCC layout, should I remove the diode(?) soldered across the two brush holders or leave it in place?

2. With reference to the armature that has the resistors(?) soldered between the pole windings, is it a modern/more powerful version of the standard Lima armature?

3. Would I be better fitting one of diesel-trains.co.uk Lima motor replacement kits?

The first on is almost certainly a capacitor. A diode connected between the brushes would prevent running in one direction. Given you are getting your hands dirty anyway, I would remove it for DCC.

Not sure about the bits on the armatures.

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Questions:

2. With reference to the armature that has the resistors(?) soldered between the pole windings, is it a modern/more powerful version of the standard Lima armature?

Hi Crewlisle,

I remember coming across this not long before Lima went bust.

The rep at the time said it was done in order to try and improve the controlability of the motors and stop them running too fast.

Thanks

Although ModelTorque are no longer available as a supplier of replacement motors, there is another source, in Finland, available via Ebay and a.n.other route which is also cheaper, including delivery!

Unfortunatley, I throw out the sheet with all the information earlier this week.

He offers 2 altenrative versions: One for Lima Gears, and the other for Fleischmann ... which I used to convert an old Fleischmann model to dcc (so old, the replacement dcc compatible motor cover plate would not fit)

But a quick Google Search on Replacement Lima or Fleischmann motors gives this link.....

www.hakanpaa.net/susumotor_en.htm   Cached... it's different from Lima). The Fleischmann pinion gear has 12 teeth;

Archived