The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A Casual Vacancy

edcayton

At the end of the final episode a number of aerial shots were strung together largely of the areas where filming took place but Tintern Abbey in the Wye Valley also featured.

Quite a lot of it (the posh bits) was Painswick and Minchinhampton as suggested in that link. However I'm reliably informed that there were several clips filmed in Stonehouse, including the social club (situated just up from the level crossing on the Midland line through the town) that I walk past on my way to work, and one of the chip shops & corner shop down the road also featured. I started watching the first episode but decided it wasn't worth sitting through it just to see some places that I see every day...

I have never seen so many stereotypes in one programme - but where was the "weirdo" with the "train set"?

Amazingly it got good reviews from all the journos who know about this sort of stuff, including a couple that said the TV adaption was better than the book!!!

• RMweb Premium

I have never seen so many stereotypes in one programme - but where was the "weirdo" with the "train set"?

Amazingly it got good reviews from all the journos who know about this sort of stuff, including a couple that said the TV adaption was better than the book!!!

I'll definitely give the book a miss then. I suppose the podgy solicitor might have made a suitably stereotypical "train set weirdo" given his lack of interest in his missus! The only sympathetic character for me was little Robbie - with a family like that and his sister gone down the river as it were, poor kid didn't stand a chance.

• RMweb Premium

Got to admit that despite considering myself as being in possession of a life I forced myself to sit through the whole thing. (Dog already walked, layout room too cold, just finished good book etc so nothing better to do)

I really should have known better after the first episode but I stuck it out, hoping for the improvement which never came.

I have both read the book and watched the recent TV series and thought both was good.

Not a fan of Harry Potter and thought that this was a lot more better for me personally as it was a story of real people and real lives.

Plus it was one of my inspirations to go on and try to write my own novel, but on a different subject.

Sam

Archived