Having enjoyed this model's general appearance and running qualities, can it be easily improved? That visible join line where the motor cradle element of the mechanism slots into the underside of the boiler, could do with being eliminated. After some inspection I am of the opinion that the main cause is that the body is sitting perhaps a half millimetre high on the mechanism; this reveals the flat side of the motor cradle below the bottom edge of the body boiler casting, before the curvature of the boiler resumes.

Having probed the interior vertical separations with the time honoured calibrated blu-tack spheres technique, there's enough clearance from the flangetops to the splasher underside to permit the body to drop a half millimetre relative to the mechanism, and ample space above the motor to the inside of the boiler casting (over 2mm). So before wielding a cutting tool to take a half millimetre out of the 'landings' fore and aft which define the height at which the body currently sits on the mechanism, has anyone else looked, or even tried and succeeded?

Well yes it has to. But I estimate the height reduction at a half millimetre, and buffer centres did vary over quite a range.

My first hope had been that I could lift the whole motor cradle slightly, as the drive between motor and gearbox incorporates a joint, but the cradle appears to be cast integral with the 'frames' part of the chassis. I will have a further poke around tomorrow in good light before making a decision.Thanks for provoking that thought Pete.

Right, poking around in this morning's ideal sunlight done. The frames and motor cradle with the underside of the boiler is a one piece casting; thus no prospect of lifting the motor cradle slightly, without sawing it off the chassis, which I don't want to do. (Incidentally the keeper plate comes away as a separate piece, contact to the pick up wipers is achieved by two sprung pins. Normally I like an all soldered connection, but this construction looks likely to be reliable, and will be easy enough to alter later if it proves otherwise. In replacing the keeper plate take care to get the front sandpipes inside the brake shoes.)

Decided to grind away the half millimetre from the 'landings' fore and aft in the loco body, which the chassis comes up against. This because these will be the easiest to  restore flush to original level with Milliput if there is a problem, such as the flanges scraping the inside of the splashers.

Done. Puts the buffer centres 13.8mm above rail top on my example. The join line simply disappears, because the horizontal side of the motor cradle is now fully concealed behind the main boiler casting. No scraping sounds from within the splashers, so there is enough clearance inside. Just the replacement drawbar to make now.

Archived