Hunting effect on a Lenz 1024 decoder

I have just fitted a Lenz 1024 decoder to a Hornby NRM Scotsman (a pig of a job) but have discovered that whereas it ran freely prior to conversion it now hunts; particularly going down hill. I guess this is some gremlins with the back EMF - should I have removed the capacitor that is fitted in this loco? Or give in and buy a new Hornby decoder?

Cheers

Richard

Have you tried it with Back-emf on and off? Some locos don't like it.

The 1024 is such an old chip it doesn't have the '1 size fits all' quality of the later standard,silver and gold range. I used to find certain locos didn't like the ones I had and they needed tweaking.

Snipping the cap may make a difference too as I know i got runaways even sometimes on the older Lenz chips with them in.

Nope -made it worse! I'll have to take the decoder out and run it on DC to see if I have accidentally made something stiff.????

It does sound possibly mechanical if its worse without back-emf, that enabled would hide mechanical stiffness a bit. Not sure what you could have done to cause a quartering issue etc though fitting a decoder!

Archived