Help identify an exported locomotive

hartleymartin

I need some help identifying the locomotive on the right of this picture. It is NSW Public Works Department No. 28, a shunter at Port Kembla. I believe that it is a Hunsley product, although I do know that it received a new, larger boiler which makes it look rather different from it's original design. From what I can gather, it probably had 3'6" driving wheels, although the front wheel splasher suggests that it may have been larger. I'm hoping to track down a suitable kit from which to kit-bash this locomotive. A Hunslet "Jazzer" type perhaps?

01+Ex+PWD+2001+&+unknown+loco+-+PWD28+or

It's a Hudswell Clarke. PWD bought three of them, No. 28 in 1908 and Nos. 29 and 30 in 1912. No. 28 was reboilered in 1949 with the boiler off a Z18. It had the dubious distinction of being the last steam locomotive to work the Pt Kembla docks on 29/12/1963, only half a shift before it failed. I would guess the above photo was taken soon after when it was being towed away for scrapping.

The closest thing I can think of is the Mid Suffolk Light Railway locos which became the J64. I don't know if anything like that is available.

Cheers
David

It's a Hudswell Clarke. PWD bought three of them, No. 28 in 1908 and Nos. 29 and 30 in 1912. No. 28 was reboilered in 1949 with the boiler off a Z18. It had the dubious distinction of being the last steam locomotive to work the Pt Kembla docks on 29/12/1963, only half a shift before it failed. I would guess the above photo was taken soon after when it was being towed away for scrapping.

The closest thing I can think of is the Mid Suffolk Light Railway locos which became the J64. I don't know if anything like that is available.

Cheers

David

Do you know of any more pictures of 28 and 29?

There are some of No. 28 in the Buckland collection at the National Library but they haven't been digitised yet. You might have to make a trip to Canberra.

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/4541646

No. 28 was b/n 863 of 1908.

EDIT: It's possible NSW State Records has some photos.

Cheers

David

Archived